This Disappears When Logged In

Signature

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Komododragon12, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I would just like to say that I'm sorry about that. I was mainly just curious. I don't think WormFood meant any disrespect. I think he could have reworded his statement better, though. I can't donate right now because I'm saving up for a leopard gecko right now, but I will donate as soon as I can. Thank you Rich for letting us know where it does go! I'm sorry, and I didn't mean to be so ignorant.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Donating isn't required here. I have no issue with people not donating. I own the site and with that comes the expenses. I have been paying for the site now for almost 8 years so this isn't new to me. lol The attitude though that someone wouldn't donate because they don't want the person or people who worked on the site to benefit from it is ignorant and shows how ungrateful some people are. Some people take things for granted and feel as if they are entitled to things like these websites. That struck a nerve with me.

3. Komododragon12

Once again, I'm really sorry. I wasn't trying to say that the money was being wasted I was just curious if it went to an organization or if it went to the runners of the site.

4. Rich

All site donations go directly to HC's business account via paypal. I pay taxes on any and all funds that go through HC.

5. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

wow.... its hard to believe that someone could be generous enough to do everything you just said for free, and then expect people who are willing to donate money to not care where it goes. I really did mean no disrespect what so ever! and i do apologize that i offended you but i think your reaction was a little overboard. Personally im not willing do donate as, a thank you buy an ipod, im willing to donate to help keep this site up and running as i truly enjoy the knowledge available here. If that makes me an ignorant person and whatever else you called me than so be it. but i would not and have not never expect any personal gain beside feeling good and knowing ive helped from any of the charity work i do. and i would never bad mouth someone else whos willing to help just because they have their own feelings on what their charity is actually helping.

and i tell you what, i donate $100 a month wired directly out of my bank account to a non-profit pitbull rescue & rehab just north of nyc, and if i ever found out joe shmo running it ever spent a penny of it on something else other than the dogs im donating to help they would never see another penny from me.

6. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

WormFood, I think you have it a bit backwards. This isn't a charity, it's a website you use on a regular basis for free. If, for whatever reason, the hosting was not paid for (personal emergency, etc), then it would not be usable by anyone, including you. If I donate to this site, I have no problems if the money pays for the hosting or to feed Rich's family for a night. All in all, the site is paid for and I get to enjoy it as often as I like.

7. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

1. rich runs this website asking for no money in return. the people using this website receive services from this site in many ways. in my eyes that is a charity from him.

2. people who donate to this site are donating to a service that asks for no money for its resources. to me that is charity from the users.

i still think this site is a great thing for people. but either way im just not feeling it anymore seeing as my question about donating my money turned into something so stupid.

to all,
    good luck to you and your herps in your futures

8. Komododragon12

I think Rich was responding to this situation perfectly and you are acting childish. This is coming from a 13 year old. If you spent over a $100 dollars on running a site for people to use for free, would you appreciate it if someone went and told you that it's stupid to ask for donations as a thank you? I think that you need to think about what your saying.

9. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

From Dictionary.com:

do·na·tion [doh-ney-shuhn] noun
    1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
    2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

char·i·ty [char-i-tee] noun, plural -ties.
    1. generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless: to devote one's life to charity.
    2. something given to a person or persons in need; alms: She asked for work, not charity.
    3. a charitable act or work.
    4. a charitable fund, foundation, or institution: He left his estate to a charity.
    5. benevolent feeling, especially toward those in need or in disfavor: She looked so poor that we fed her out of charity.

Not trying to fuel the fire, just pointing out that HC is Not a charity.

10. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

the services of this site are GIVEN to the users.

majority of the users NEED the advice and knowledge from this site to properly care for their pets.

this being or not being charitable is not the issue

and komodo... your thirteen? go ask mommy and daddy about the value of a dollar. oh yea and please tell me how much money you give them on the regular as a thanks.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok this is getting totally ridiculous!
    HC is not a charity with all the tax breaks and financial help avialable. This is a working website and for my money the best one out there. We do not require donations but appreciate them when we do get them. And since Rich takes a considerable amount of money out of his own pocket to run things, who cares if a bit of the donation was to go back into to replace it. The money really was still used to fund the site!
    But it doesn't happen that way!
    Wormfood, with regard to your statement about the dog charity. The money you gives them goes into a general account. It may be used to purchase dog food or it may be used to buy staplers or toilet paper. Just because you give them money doesn't mean that YOU get to dictate to them how its spent. There isn't a charity in the world that runs that way!

Members are more than welcome to question what we do and discuss it. But if the responses continue in the juvenile, insulting vein that they have been, not only will they be removed, the offending member will stand a VERY real possibilty of being removed from the site!
    Either respond like an adult or don't respond at all!

12. Rich

The mentality that sites like HC are expected to just be here and exist for everyone, like wormfood seems to think, is complete nonsense. HC isn't a charity and doesn't fall under a 501k. I am in my living room right now, on my home PC, posting and monitoring the server. The physical site is owned by me and is a bill I have to pay to keep running. I knew that getting into it and went forward anyways. The staff that runs this website all volunteer their time and experience and have done so for years.

It's the mentality that people out there don't think donating for the sake of donating is worth it. A gesture of gratitude for the FREE services provided to them isn't enough. They have this feeling of entitlementnt in their little worlds and just don't see the big picture. It's an ignorance bestowed on them as they grew up. They simply weren't taught gratitude.

Now everyone needs to understand that you don't need to donate to HC to show gratitude. I don't want what I am saying to be misinterpreted. When someone does donate though it should be because they do appreciate the site and they shouldn't worry about where the money goes. The entire purpose for donating to a cause, shelter, website, etc is because you support that endeavor. If you truly support and believe in what you are donating towards you really wouldn't care where the donation was going so long as what you were donating toward kept progressing forward.

13. Komododragon12

Just so that you know wormfood, not all 13 year olds are idiots that don't know what money is worth! This is stereotypical, if you ask me! And I don't give them money as a thanks, I work for them.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A person age has nothing to do with their maturity level.
    That statement, along with the one that I just removed, is completely out of line and not only uncalled for but JUVENILE!

This is done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.