This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Spiny Softshell!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Nino, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Nino

Nino New Member

I need help diagnosing what my spiny softshell turtle might have....

Some info:

I have 7 baby turtles (3 months old) in a 39 gallon long tank. The water is filled about 8 inches and the substrate is half black aquarium sand (washed well) and half river rocks (also washed well). The filter I have is a ZooMed 318 turtle filter recommended for 30 gallon aquariums. I also have a large basking platform under a powersun mercury vapor bulb.

So here's the deal...

The turtles have been in incredibly good health since I got them. I have 2 Mississippi maps 2 penn cooters 2 spiny softshells and 1 yellow belly slider. Recently I've noticed that one of the baby spiny turtles hasn't been eating, and has been spending the majority of its time directly under the hottest part of the bulb. This was quite a shock to me because I rarely ever see the spiny turtles basking. He is very lethargic, and doesn't respond to anything, I can put my hand in the tank and touch him and he won't even move.

What should I do?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Seperate him from the others and set him up in his own tank with temps appropriate for his species. Make sure to feed him healthy foods like earthworms, Phoenixworms, and hornworms. Try not to feed fish since they may contain parasites. Also try to contact vets around you to see if they will see him to get tested for parasites.

Are you currently measuring the temps? If so what are they?

In order to ensure the health of the other turtles you may want to look into get a larger tank (a 90gal would be wonderful) then use the 39gal to breed the feeder fish in to make sure they are parasite free.
    Also filters should be rated at 4x your water capacity if you can since turtles are really dirty creatures. And water changes should be done once a month.

3. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have hands on experience with parasites...