This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Snake

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try another vet on the list. Sometimes you have to work to find a good one.

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Well the other two said they don't make a liquid for a respiratory infection? Does any one know?

3. Merlin

It sounds like they are not leaving you any options.
    Try the mouse one more time and we will go from there.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok Lacey told me exactly what to do. So would you say I need to try the mouse one more time and do what Lacey said or to just less stress my snake and just make her take the pill. Because if the feeding doesn't work she is going to be mad because I'm trying to make her eat. Then I force her mouth open and make her eat something...she is going to be really mad. So should I just make her eat the pill?

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Let the record show that I told her the proper way to stuff a pill but stressed the fact that she should only try it once and then let the snake be, sucessful or not.

6. Merlin

Lacey are you talking about putting the pill in the mouse or just doing it the down and dirty way?

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Down and dirty, but we decided in the chat that we should try to mouse trick again and then keep hounding the vet about injections.

8. Merlin

Cool.
    Saves me the trouble of writing down how to do it.;)

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Honestly dont know if you would have this in your country, but this is what I use.
    [​IMG]

I use it on all my reptiles when they shed and it can also be used to lubricate the food.

10. Merlin

I've never seen that here. The simplest most available thing to do to lubricate something like we are discussing is KY jelly.

11. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Or butter...but I used the rat we killed and she ate that.

12. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

Yes they do. its and intra muscular antibiotic you give every 72 hours. Its called Ceftazidime It was about 45$ canandian for a 6 foot 4.1 Kg snake. My boa is on them now for a RI and my old ball python was on a broad spectrum one cause her blood cell count was out. It can be a little scary at first but my vet gave us a demo and the choice of just bringing her in when she needed them. but we just do it at home and she hates it but her breathing is already getting better.

Why they would give you a pill to give to a snake is beyond me.... sounds like you need a new exotic vet.

13. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Hey StiffyG, who is your herp vet? I live in Red Deer and would like a good herp vet and Calgary is not that far away. Thanks.

14. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

I go to Dr. Matieri at the calghary avian and exotic vet clinic. there is one other vet their too. its on 17th ave and 32nd st I believe... they are awesome. I have brought all of our small animals and exotics there, they are very good at what they do. I think a general exam is about 69$ The number is (403) 240-3577

15. Merlin

We have an area for submitting info and recommendations on good herp vets.
    Reptile Vet Finder
    You might want to submit the information. Might help someone else!

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I totally forgot about this thread. Yes I found a new vet...I love them!!! They are just great. They took a picture of my baby and are going to put it on their website. My boa is great now...getting bigger and she is a lot healthier. I just need to get two more mega rays and I am done for now!!! Owning a lot of reptiles is just a huge money taker. Almost every pay check I get SOMETHING for one of my pets. Excluding food I go but that for them all the time.

17. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

How long has it taken her to get better? How old is she? Anddd is she 100% now?

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

100%? Better? I hope so. I think she is. Well it's a long story I went to the first vet they gave me pills then the second gave me liquid and she had it before all that so it was a long process.

19. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

I see I see. Well I hope my girl gets better :(

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Awe good luck. Keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.