This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Snake

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

well...I called to leave a message and it told me if it was an emergency call this number........then is said please do not leave a message. What is up with that? I think I'm going to find a new vet. This one doesn't seem to be working very well. Should I call? I don't know if they are going to be able to do anything because well I don't know what are they supposed to do. Should I call

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

do you think I could get her to take the pill? Like just opening her mouth and putting it in?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. The snake will most likely spit it out and all you will have accomplished is to severely stress both you and the snake out.

Call the number and see what words of wisdom they have for you.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

they are supposed to pick up on the E-number, thats why you don't leave a message just keep calling it.

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

This is ridiculous I called the number and it told me to call someone else because they didn't deal with snakes. So i called it and they asked if it was an emergency or could I hold so I said I could hold. Then a guy came back and I told him every thing and my question then he put me on hold and then I heard a click and there was no one there. I don't know what to do. I can't seem to get an answer out of anyone on the phone.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I misunderstood your post before about the message, i assume it was the vet office phone that said don't leave a message. They don't want things like hi i want to make an appointment please call me back for my cat bob that is 6 months old on... tuesday the...14th and so forth.

Call him back! maybe he was having phone issues

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

cat bob...lol i have a cat. His name isn't bob though.
    Anyways....I'll call back.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I do not have that patience to keep on calling the same place especially if I am not sure if they can help. I will find a herp vet, unfortunately it will mean that you wasted your money on the first visit. Good luck to you I really hope your snake gets better. When are you going to get your camera back?

9. Merlin

Personally I would find another vet. Where abouts in Ohio are you located? Maybe someone close can refer you .
    The whole idea of giving medication to a snake via pills stuffed in a feeder is ludicrous to me!
    Quite often sick animals will not feed. So there goes ANY chance of that method working.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I will get the camera back soon. I am near Columbus Ohio. About an hour away from there so I'm not looking for specifically in Columbus. I'm going to call today and see what they say...if any one is there. I hope so. There is no way to force feed a snake a mouse is there. I don't mind getting bit if that is the only risk. I just don't want her to not get her medicine. If I get a hold of the vet should I ask if they have it in a liquid? Or is there any certain spot that Icould give her the shot if I go back to my vet to get it?

11. Merlin

Yes. I have done it many times,...unfortunately.
    But it isn't easy, its extremely stressful to the snake, and is a last ditch measure.
    If you aren't careful or don't know what you are doing it can injure the snake.
    See if there is someone on here that is near to you
    Herp Vet Connection

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I found one that is only 40 minuets away I might be able to get her there. So should I follow through with this vet and finish with this treatment or just take her to the new one?

13. Merlin

I would take her to the new one but tell them what the other vet suggested and take the pills with you to show them.

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would go to a new one for a second opinion. Tell the new vet about the old vet when you make the appointment so they can get her records sent over to them.

15. Merlin

I would call first and explain the situation
    to the DR, NOT a receptionist, and see what they have to say.

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok thank you.

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck talking to a doctor. If you are a new patient I wont let you through. I will gladly take a note that the doctor may or may not acknowledge eventually. Vets are usually really busy and can't talk to every person who calls and insists on speaking to them. If I let 1/2 the people who want to talk to the Doc through I'd probably get fired for not doing my job.

I'd just ask the receptionist a series of questions. Stress to her that you need an EXPERIENCED reptile vet who is familiar with medicating snakes. Ask her if her vets fit the bill and if they don't or if she says, "They'll make do." then find someone else.

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I will defiantly call them. From where I live too him it is 37 minutes. Ok i called and they said to grab the pill with tweezers and put it down the snakes throat. This isn't going to go well.

any suggestions on how to do that?
    Or maybe should I try giving her the mouse again?

19. Merlin

Hmmmm I have never had trouble talking to a vet when I specifically asked to.
    Is that all the instructions that they gave gave you! Nothing about lubricant or any advise?

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

They said I can put something on the pill to make it go down easier but no suggestion as to what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.