This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Snake

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Update on my sick baby! She has had one pill so far in her mouse and that was on Sunday. The mice are smaller than I usually give her but I think it is probably a good thing since she has to eat two a week!! Just thought I'd let you guys know! Maybe she will gain some weight now!!!! :p

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

did you just switch her from what is now the ig cage? you may have to treat him as well

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

If your question is "Is the iguana in the cage the snake was in?" the answer is yes. Sorry not very good at understanding questions :) She just had RI...is that contagious? She ended up not having mites if that is what your concerned about. If not please let me know!

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am glad your snake is sorted and I take my hat off for you cutting that mouse open... Just a question, why can't you just put the pill deep into the mouses throat?

For how long have you had your snake now?

I would disinfect that cage with bleach and hot water before I would put anything else in there.:(

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I've had her for a couple months now. Ok now I have a problem. I am feeding her now...all she is doing is crawling all over the mouse not even trying to eat it. Her eyes are completely blue. Not a blue like shedding but a blue like blind. What happened?!?!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the eyecaps suddenly went blue, its a shed cycle. That would explain the refusal to feed.

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

oh geeze I put the pill in the mouse. Can I refreeze the mouse?

8. Merlin

If the mouse hasn't been thawed out for very long, yes.
    I have routinely refrozen feeders for later use for years.

9. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok i put it in the freezer and put her in warm water for a few minutes she did not like that at all. I'm going to see how she is doing tomorrow because she has to have those pills...how did you give your snake the pills you had to give him/her?

10. Merlin

Actually the meds I have had to give were liquid. All I had to do was to run a tube down into the snake's stomach and squeeze the syringe.
    The fact that the snake needs medication concerns me.
    Contact your vet and explain that the snake is going into shed and will not eat and so is not getting the medication. See what they recommend. That way, if it does need to be delivered in another manner, the vet can show you how it's done.

11. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thank you I'm not as concerned about the eating as the pill. Well I will call and see what she says to do.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I tried calling and they are closed. Do you think that I could get her to eat tomorrow? I can try. At first the vet said to feed her Sunday and Thursday then she changed her mind to Wednesday. So I fed her on Sunday she ate fine. she looks a LOT bigger than normal like either she is gaining weight crazy fast because of the medicine or I don't know what else.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Yep, i was concerned about mites because if you switched the cage with out killing them all they would move to your ig but if its not mites then that isn't an issue

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Yes it wasn't mites now its just my snake wont eat because she is going to shed and she has no way to get the pill

15. Merlin

Does your vet have an emergency number to call?
    And is this actually a herp vet? The reason I ask is that I am surprised that they expected a snake to feed twice in 4 days!
    It would have made much more sense to supply the medication in a liquid form for manual dosing. Since the snake was ill there was no guarantee that it would feed at all!

16. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Warm water is always a bad idea...What is warm to us is hot to them...Remember our body temp is 98 and that is already three degrees higher than the max hot side in their enclosures!! I used a thermometer until I got used to what temp the baths should be.
    I don't bathe pink or blue snakes...but the week after the blue I bathe them once daily until shed...If this is impractical then just get used to misting the enclosure...
    Good luck with the meds...
    Oh and they won't eat until the shed cycle has completed...I even like to wait a day after the shed comes off...

17. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I'm not sure if there is an emergency number to call. It may be on the answering machine. She has had no problem eating during/after/before a shed any other time. Yes my vet is a herp vet but she doesn't seem to know about something until I tell her. So maybe she doesn't know a lot...which means she shouldn't be a herp vet.

18. Merlin

Check out the answering machine message and leave a message.
    Its sort of hard to deliver medication via stuffing it in a rodent if the snake won't eat!

19. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would be a bit leary of a vet that prescibes pills for a snake, usually with their slow metabolism they are ineffective. Maybe you should call around a get a second opion, any time my pets have been on anything they have gotten it in an injectable form.

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

well she injected it with the medicine and then gave me two pills and divided them into four. I will call and leave a message and see if there is another number I can call. Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.