This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Snake

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by briana1399, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I don't know if she has mites or not but I found a little bug on her and I honestly don't know how I spotted it. I'm going to take her to the vet as soon as I can I think. When she breaths I hear something like....whistle almost? But not so much a whistle...like a snuffly nose. I don't know what to do and I'm so afraid she's sick!!!
    Has anyone had these problems before?
    And what do mites do to your snake?
    How do you tell she has them or not?
    If any one knows anything please let me know.
    :(

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mites are very persistent around the eyes, so look very closely for tiny moving specks.

Whistling can be many things. Is she going into shed soon? Sometimes the scales loosening causes whistling.

It can also be an RI, in which case, get her to the vets. Check her nose for discharge, as it is a good indicator.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok thank you

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Its odd she has been making that noise since I got her. I read the symptoms for RI and that has to be it. She keeps her head raised A LOT and she wheezes and makes odd noises. I need to get her to a vet like tomorrow. Thanks I wouldn't have known what it was.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

good luck, and i think you can wet a paper towel, wipe it, and look at the towel if you see any red or black specks it is probably mites

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Right! Take a damp white paper towel and rub down the snake. You are looking for little red or black flecks about the size of grains of pepper.

From the sound of things it is a RI. Bump the heat in the basking spot up to 95 degrees and get to the Vet!

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I put another heat lamp on her so that bumped up the heat and I made an appointment today at the vet at three. Thank you guys so much...I will take that wet paper towel to her before I go. Will the vet have anything for the mites? And how much are RI infections? I can't thank you enough she ha been doing this since I got her...the vet said she was healthy but I didn't really have them "look" for anything. You guys may have just saved her life. Thank you so so much. I cried last night when I figured out that it was more than likely RI I feel so bad. I'm switching to paper towels. Any suggestions for a cleaner cage?

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

And I guess this explains her being really lazy too.

9. Merlin

For mites pick up Reptile Relief. If indeed mites are present. And strip and disinfect the tank.
    As for the vet costs, it varies.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thank you Merlin! Your so helpful! All of you were!

11. Merlin

The bug you found, can you describe it? How big was it? wings or not?

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

It was extremely tiny... I honestly don't know how I found it. I think it was blackish and it looked like at the front or back of it, it had pincher looking things. It was so small it's hard to give any detail.

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I think it has to be mites...she has little white spots on her in some places.

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

No mites? I think differently so I'm getting mite treatment. Gave her shot for the infection and now I have to feed her a mouse on Sunday and Wednesday for the next 4 weeks i have to cut open mouse and put 1/4 pill they gave me into it and fed her.

15. Merlin

If there were no signs of mites other than the one bug I would wait. You very rarely find just one mite!

And big fun with the pill and the mouse!
    At least you don't have to force feed it to the snake!
    Been THERE!

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

signes? lol I know what you meant. I wonder why there is rarely more than one. Hmm...well I'll wait for a little while.
    Yes I'm glad I don't have to make her eat it.
    They stuck their fingers in her mouth and said she must be really attached to me because she kept trying to crawl toward me.
    She is my baby!
    Although when they got done roaming in her mouth she closed it and it laid crooked. Is that normal?
    I made her open it again and now it is fine. It just freaked me out.

17. Merlin

Signes= Ignoramus spelling of signs! :eek:
    Got in too big a hurry!
    The reason that you rarely find just one mite, is that they breed by the thousands! By the time you see one they are everywhere!
    They unhinged the snakes jaws in the process. The same way the snake does in swallowing a large food item.
    As you can see the snake just realigned them.

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Oh good I thought they broke her. So would you say I need to change her bedding then? Like I was going to switch to paper towels? Which I just did for my iggy!! He torn me up! But when I went to put him back in he was calm though. I appreciated that.

19. Merlin

I always suggest that an animal being treated for illness be in a bare floor cage. Well with paper anyway.
    That lets you keep a better eye on things.

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I will change her cage tonight :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.