This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Lizard! Any Info Helps!

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by mommy2cutestbabyever, Oct 18, 2014.

1. i've owned my alligator lizard for about a year now. hes in a 10 gal tank with sand substrate/grass. theres a big rock on the left side with a heat lamp above (daylight blue, uva 40w) and on the left side is his water dish. theres a stick in between for him to crawl on. anyway his first bulb burnt out and i went to a big chain petstore for a new bulb and the guy handed me the blue daylight bulb and said this is what u need. so now its been about 2 months and i thought this bulb was a one in all kinda deal. then last night my s/o said the lizard was being weird and twitchy. i also noticed he was very larthagic and laying in the water dish all day. i reached into the tank last night to pick him up and his neck was spasming out. im unsure as to how much food hes been eating because usually i just throw a handful of crickets in there everytime there arent any left. i wasnt sure he would survive the night but when i woke up today and looked into the tank he was still breathing. hes been having a hard time crawling around and hes still spasming. so what i gathered from google by searching his symptoms is that he could have hypoglycemia. the local pet store told me to feed him chicken baby food with calcium powder and also give him a pedialite bath with %50 water and %50 pedialite. also along with the calcium deficiency im assuming it was caused by not having any uvb light (which he currently has as of this morning.) i also have a video i took of him spasming. any info helps, i live on the oregon coast and there is one place i can take him on monday to see an exotic pet vet. [video=youtube;QvdurixmmYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvdurixmmYg[/video]

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

No UVB would be one of the reasons on why as well.
    Did you ever dust the crickets with a calcium vitamin D3 powder?
    The lack of UVB would also play a part in not processing enough calcium as well.
    Then there's probably the lack of an adequate basking temperature. Likely a 40 watt bulb is not providing the 85-90 F required temperature for processing food.

3. i have the calcium powder but i really was lazy about it and only dusted the crickets when i first got the powder. Someone else on another post told me i should have him under the uvb light for 24 hours a day. so last night i left the uvb bulb on him and its now on 24/7. the guy said his lizard had the same issue and bounced back after 2 weeks. the only thing is he still isnt eating anything other then a few licks of chicken baby food with calcium powder in it. i have him in a tote and i put a cricket in there with some water. im just glad he is still alive since he started to show signs of sickness on fri night. hes still very twitchy and larthagic. :(

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have a temperature gun to check the temps in the enclosure?

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Reptiles take a long time to show an illness and by the time you see it they have been sick a while. It's also true the other way, takes time for them to heal up. I'd still give him a day/night cycle but with longer day and keep him away from busy areas to lower stress. Bones take time to mend but the twitching may not take to long to subside.

Hoping for the best :)