This Disappears When Logged In

Sick King Snake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Nigrita_Snake, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigrita_Snake

Nigrita_Snake Member

I think my albino king is impacted. The closest vet is 2 hrs away. How can i transport him with less stress?

He is having the same symptoms again. His first symptoms were from 3-30 thru 4-10. I had used bark (never again), when i changed it , i saw bark dust all over him and his anus. He was not eating. I soaked him with warm water and pedelite 1-2 times a day for 20 mins each time for 7 days. He improved and his anus retracted like normal.

The symptoms now are : his 'anus' (I do not know the correct name) is protuding out and looks swollen to me. He looks like he is getting dyhidrated.

He did eat 2 medium fuzzies on thursday 4-10 and 1 medium fuzzy tonight

He is in a 55 gallon tank with under tank heater and a small over head ceramic heater, the 'hot' side is 90, the cool side is 80. Substrate is Aspen Bedding which gets cleaned every month. Always has water which is cleaned twice a week.

He is around 1.5-2 yrs old and 28 inches long.

My main concern is the 'anus' is not retracting.

Thank you in advance,
    Nigrita/Snake

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Cloaca is the proper terminology.
    You should wash the protrusion, cover it in water based lubricant, like KY and wrap it to keep the tissue moist so that it doesn't dry out and die.

As far as transport I would use a small tight dark container or pillow case so that the snake feels secure and regulate the temp in the car to keep the snake comfortable.

Also if you can I would bring a stool sample to the vet, sometimes parasites are associated with feces sticking to the vent area. Also straining to defecate can cause a prolapse. (The insides being pushed out)

Make a vet appointment ASAP with a qualified reptile vet, it may require a small stitch to make sure the insides stay inside.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Sounds like a prolapse! The snake needs to be taken to a vet to have this checked out.

4. Nigrita_Snake

Nigrita_Snake Member

Thank you for responding. I am going to the vet tomorrow, he is a herp vet.

Do i keep him on newspaper? Right now he is on Aspen.

I am glad I found this site.

Thank you again

Nigrita/Snake

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

good luck with your king. hopefully everything will go well. :)

i would imagine that for the moment it would be easier to keep him on newspaper so nothing really sticks to it. but i don't know for sure since i've never had that happen.

6. Nigrita_Snake

Nigrita_Snake Member

Good News

The vet said Snake has a mild case of cloaca prolaspe. Snake is also a girl. It is being treated with Neosporin and using newspapers in the aquarium.

Question: when does a female snake start to lay eggs? Do I keep the eggs in the aquarium? Will this 'stop' her from laying more frequaly laying more? This works with parrots :)

Thank You

Nigrita/Snake

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i think a female snake will only lay eggs if she's been with a male, but i'm not sure on that since i've never dealt with it.

hope your snake has a speedy recovery. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.