This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Dragon At Fair?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by drrmarie, Sep 15, 2017.

1. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

Hi everyone, this bearded dragon is in a tank with no light at a fair. Does he look ill at all to anyone or are the black spots on his back and the white marks on his feet normal? Could it be that he's just about to shed maybe? thanks!

Attached Files:

2. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

another pic

Attached Files:

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I'm not an expert on beardies, but I believe all these are symptoms of extreme stress and poor conditions. Another thing to look for is a sloping brow. (Which it looks like he has as well)
    Unfortunately alot of the more popular reptile pets are almost viewed as throwaway animals. It makes me sad to see bearded dragons or ball pythons or leopard geckos in such poor conditions.

4. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

thank you!

5. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

could you tell me the significance of the sloping brow? I can't find anything on google

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I really don't see anything to be concerned with. The darker colors and barring are simple stress indicators. ThisI animal is at a fair and is likely being handled and peered at a lot.
    Never heard the sloping brow bit before.

7. AmityReptiles

Hmm. Well maybe it's an old wives tale. I cant seem to find anything online about it either. I've had a few beardie owners tell me if the eyebrows are flat and sloping, it indicates an unhealthy animal. That you want to look for one with rounded "happy" looking eyes. I'm not sure the reasoning behind it, I've just been told it relates to malnutrition.
    And like I said, I'm no beardie expert, so maybe Merlin is right. Could just be the temporary stress indicator. I just thought it took long term extreme stress to manifest the black spots.

8. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

thanks guys

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, are you thinking of buying it?

10. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

No I was wondering if I should report the exhibitor to animal control for neglect

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What were the conditions like (temperature wise) and how long was the dragon left like that?

12. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

Mid to upper 70s and the fair lasts almost an entire month - has over a week to go

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the dragon is left in those conditions for more than a few minutes it`s core temp will drop although not necessarily fatal to the lizard, it`s immune system will be compromised to some extent (I would report it).

14. drrmarie

drrmarie Member

Thanks!!

murrindindi likes this.
  15. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

I think you may be on the right track his fat pads on the top of his head are depleted which give the impression of a slope no UVB for a month is not good i would call the RSPCA they have reptile rescues that could help where was the fair?

AmityReptiles likes this.
  16. AmityReptiles

That makes sense.

Dragonmum likes this.