This Disappears When Logged In

Sick And Malnourished Monitor Lizard In The Philippines

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Stacy Wagstaff, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hi all. Was wondering if anyone could help us with advice on aiding a sick and malnourished monitor lizard on our remote island in the Philippines. We have named it Boney and have been feeding it eggs, chicken and water. We suspect it has been tied up (locals eat them) as it has a deep groove around its neck. It also cannot move its back legs and am unsure whether this is a spinal injury or just weakness. Its skin is peeling. It has vastly improved energy wise since we have been assisting it. Would really appreciate any ideas on what we can do to help Boney.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos of the monitor and the enclosure?

3. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Is this animal something you've taken in or are just keeping an eye on in your local vicinity? I suppose cultural differences are always to be respected as here in the states it is probably thought to be "yucky" to eat such an animal. Glad your taking initiative on your beliefs and feelings.

4. Its a lizard that just popped up in front of our dive shop. It crawls out from under the restaurant in the afternoon. Will get some pictures of it when it comes out later on.

5. Heres some pictures of Boney. Yesterday it came when i called it. I guess its because its associating my voice with food. Its actually kind of started using its back legs a little. Does anyone know how much i should be feeding it and how often?

Attached Files:

6. Ive given it two eggs today and lots of water

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

8988374911_301c0285c8[1].jpg Hi again, thanks for the photos. It may just be that the monitor can`t use the legs because of it`s current condition?
    Offering water is a great idea, it`s surely dehydrated just now. Fertilised eggs are best if you can get some (any type). Raw lean meats are not good, whole animals are far superior. Fish and other seafoods such as mussels, whelks, prawns/shrimp (complete with shells). I doubt you can get them, but rodents/other mammals and birds. Chicks or parts of chicken with the bones and feathers/skin (they cannot actually digest feathers and fur but it serves a purpose as roughage). The fact it`s accepting food and keeping it down is good, obviously we don`t know if there`s internal damage, only time will tell. Please do not offer live vertebrate prey. Keep us posted, by the way which part of the Philippines are you in?
    It looks like Varanus cumingi (Philippine water monitor) closely related to the subspecies I keep (V. salvator macromaculatus) the Asian water monitor...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry ran out of time... You can feed daily, but for the time being offer smaller meals; a fish the size of the monitor`s head and neck combined (either in one piece or cut into chunks) one egg 2 or 3 times per week, a few prawns/shrimp/other seafoods on alternate feedings, mammals birds the same.... Normally they will eat as much as they can and then some, if his/her condition starts to improve offer slightly more at each feeding until he`s back to normal (hopefully that will happen)!

9. Thanks guys for the information. Im on a little island called Dimakya near Coron. We work for Club Paradise Divers. Good to know about the eggs - i think i may be feeding it too many! Will try to get my hands on fish... Its a little difficult as the off cuts from the tourist kitchen go into feeding the staff. They eat fish heads... I think i can get fertilised eggs in Coron in the weekend as its a delicacy here. Here is a picture of it today lounging in the sun. We have some really large monitors on the island. I think they eat fruit bats and other rodents. We also have some pretty snakes.

Attached Files:

10. I just noticed the tip of its tail has been chewed. Maybe by another lizard. Put some betadine on it.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good idea, do that once per day (dilute it, 10 parts water to one part iodine).

12. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Stacy you are a saint! I hope he pulls through, he looks like he has a hard life but you are definitely the drive that is keeping him going right now.

13. Am actually really disheartened... Had a couple of days off the island and it seems that Boney is going downhill. Got a couple of eggs down and some water... But would not take any fish. Its crawled around a couple of places but really lethargic. I think its preparing to die.. The local guys have said that as its got white patches that its quite old. The day i left it crawled down to the sea and looked like it was really enjoying a bath. I have a strange feeling its on its way there for one last dip. Weirdly it seems to enjoy me scrubbing it with a toothbrush. I know they are reptiles and affection is not really something they display, however it does seem to respond to my presence.