This Disappears When Logged In

Shy Corn Snakes

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Joel, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Joel

Joel New Member

G'day all!

I recently bought 2 baby corn snakes for my sons (about 4 months ago). We chose corn snakes for 2 reasons - known for good temperament, and diurnal. They seem perfectly comfortable being handled so temperament is not an issue but we never ever ever see them out of their hiding places. They hide together either under the water bowl or in the 'cave' that we bought at the pet shop. Maybe they come out at night but I haven't seen that either.

They eat readily every 4 days, we have plenty of 'obstacles' in the tank for them to climb on or entertain them. The tank is 45 gallons and opens from the front. I have a small heat rock and an under tank heating pad. Both of these heat sources are on one side of the tank and they never go anywhere on this side. Either the middle of the opposite side. The temp in the tank is usually low 80s. Substrate is a mixture of shavings recommended by the shop. No dedicated lighting for the tank. Just room lighting. I don't measure the humidity in the tank.

One thing that I'm wondering about is if they might be sensitive to electronics nearby. The tank sits on a desk of sorts and on the shelf directly under the tank are a receiver, xbox, apple tv, and the cable box/DVR. Are there any fields given off that might bother the snakes and keep them skiddish / shy?

Thanks for any tips.

Joel

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

That's typical behavior for young corn snakes, my little Okeetee runs for cover whenever I reach in to pick it up. Never strikes or bites, calms right down once I have it out of the tub, but doesn't want to be picked up and is always happy to go back in.
    Corn snakes are territorial, and really should be housed separately.
    A 45 gallon tank is pretty large for a baby corn. I'm using a plastic tub with a heat pad under one end until mine gets a bit larger. I have a wood "cave" directly over the heat pad, with a piece of eggcrate packing foam on top of that. Also a 40w light bulb in a desk lamp to provide more warmth by day. My corn used to stay under the piece of eggcrate foam on the cool end, now hangs out on top of the foam on the warm side. Seems to have settled in pretty well, I've had it for a few weeks now.
    Feeding should be every 6 days rather than 4. I know they'll eagerly eat that often, but it's better for them in the long run to feed less often.
    Humidity isn't usually critical, as long as they're shedding cleanly it's high enough. Heat rocks are generally a bad idea for snakes, the surface temps get too hot and may cause burns. At least cover it with a towel or something to prevent direct contact with the surface.
    I've never heard of snakes being sensitive to electronics. Only thing I would think may bother them would be vibrations if the volume of something nearby is too loud. Snakes can't hear but they are sensitive to vibrations on the ground, or whatever surface they're resting on.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The behavior is typical. If you consider that in the wild everything that came along would try to eat them. As they get older larger and more accustomed to you this will change. Mine will come to the front of the enclosure to see what I am up to.
    But a few points.

It's not so much territorial as it is a danger of cannibalism. While not as prone to it as kingsnakes, cornsnakes have been known to eat one another.
    This is something I strongly disagree with. Snakes did not evolve in a box. As long as the tank is setup with lots of cover it is fine.

Heat rocks are always a bad idea for everything. Except having the cord cut off and used as a decoration.
    And covering them with anything is a bad idea. That risks them overheating and starting a fire.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I am not aware of anything saying snake can be affected by electonics, however the vibrations from the sound output of any of that can be bothersome to them. So, get rid of the heat rock, get a thermostat on the heat pad if you don't have one already, and seperate the 2 snakes into their own cages. And I agree with Merlin, no cage we put them in is too large if properly set up. Lots of cover may also increase their activity level, they will want to be able to move around mostly unseen. I have used cheap natural looking plants from a dollar store, and just scattered them in the cage.