This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Take the Baby Boa Back?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by mercuryjwp, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Ive had my baby brb now going on 3 weeks. I have a 20 gallon with cypress mulch. Im keeping my aquarium in the room with the woodstove now, which stays from 70 degrees-85 degrees. There is a cool end and another end with a heat pad under and hiding spots on both. I have plastic on top now which the humidity stays around 80 and also a plastic hide box with moss. Like I posted on another thread the snake is alert and as healthy looking as possible. Ive tried feeding the brb live and frozen around 8 times with no success. I bought a live fuzzy last night and the snake smelled it and studied it like crazy so I left it in a dark warm box for 3 hours. I even held the fuzzy around his face and the brb struck at it and didnt take it. Petco said I can get my money back or exchange it within 30 days. The 30 days will be up at end of month. What would you reptile lovers suggest. Ive tried live and dead and the snake just want eat. I could exchange the brb or get my money back. If I exchanged the snake im worried it would have the same problems. Im in love with the snake and im gonna give it the whole 30 days to try to eat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated, and if anyone has any suggestions of great breaders please let me know. The thing I do like about petco is the 30 day guarantee.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, have you gotten the proper thermometer/hydrometer yet? No matter how many snakes you buy and return you will run into the same problem without stable husbandry.
    Perhaps you should try an easier species of snakes. Have you considered a red tail boa?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Red tails can get quite a big bigger than a BRB, but their care is a fair amount simpler.

Corn snakes are also quite simple, as are rat snakes, milk snakes, and kingsnakes. Kings are pretty voracious eaters, too.

4. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Yes I like red tails but im not gonna get one because the size they get. Ive done countless research on the brb and thats the snake I want. Ive got the proper thermo/hydrometer now and my temps are right so far.

5. mshrmheadcharge

Can you take a picture of the enclosure and the thermometer? Maybe we can give you more pointers about your setup. Have you tried simply leaving the snake alone and not trying to feed it? You've made 8 attempts in about three weeks? That's a lot of attempts. I wonder if the snake has had time to just adjust to her surroundings, uninterrupted.
    You have to consider the improper husbandry she endured while living under petcos care. Do you wish to return her to that? I think you should give her a week of absolutely no handling or feeding attempts, leave her alone to become acclimated to the environment...
    If you insist on returning her, you should be made aware that this is not an easy species to care for. I understand not wanting a rtb, I (foolishly) wasn't considering their size. Jen suggested a corn snake, they are great! They come in many color morphs, have you done any research on them?

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

How much are you handling him? Did the petshop include a feeding chart? Was he eating for them? I have one big rule here with handling, hands off until they have ate. Usually after the first meal I only handle 1-2 times and then if they eat again then I handle more frequently.

I purchased a cornsnake from a petshop here, her first feces was full of round worms. It took 3 months to get her parasite free and eating again. I said I would not purchase snakes from them again. Then they got in an albino milksnake... So far Isis appears healthy when I can get a good sample she will be tested for parasites. Petshops usually bring in wholesale lots. Some breeders just take snakes right from the egg and ship them off. Less work for them. A lot of these animals do not eat and die.

Are there any BRB breeders in your area? Are there any reptile shows in your area? If you can find a local breeder and get a good established baby then I would return the snake.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But what are those temperatures? You keep giving us the temperatures of the room and not the tank? We need to know the exact temperatures of the tank itself.

8. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Ill get a picture of my enclosure tonite. The temps during my lunch break were were aquarium 73 degrees and the humidity was down to 60% and I sprayed it to get it to around 80. The brb now has recently found his new moisture container and has been in it all morning. I have been overhandling the snake probaly. The snake seems really compertable when I hold it now. The first few days it made alot of strikes at me and now I feel like the snake is more like a pet. Im gonna try 1 more attempt at feeding it the live fuzzy thats been living in a box for 2 days and ill get a picture. After this last session of trying to get it to eat then ill leave it alone for days. The nearest pet store is 45 min from me, so I have to drive along ways to get mice. Ive had cornsnakes and pythons before. I currently have a ball. The coloring and right size are what draws me to the brb. As far as brb breaders I dont have a clue who breeds them.

9. mshrmheadcharge

So. The snake has had no time to adjust and you have been over handling it. Also, 73° is not hot enough for that snake to have an appetite. Do you have a hot spot?
    Remember, a young BRB needs consistent humidity in the enclosure. Try to figure out how you're losing the humidity.

10. mshrmheadcharge

The edit function isn't working on my phone right now (paging Dr Rich)
    So to add to the above.
    Please. Stop. Trying. To. Feed. The. Snake.
    Leave her alone. You are stressing her out, her temps aren't even hot enough for her to have an appetite. She will regurgitate even if she did eat with it being 73° in the enclosure.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Agreed! LEAVE THE SNAKE ALONE! And get your temperatures up and stable. If you have experience with other snakes you should know this!

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the tank you have..... does it have a screen or a solid lid?

13. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

it has a metal wire lid. Ive put plastic almost all the way across the top now and now im getting good humidity levels between 70-90%

14. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Just wanted to chime in that I work at Petco and the company-wide return policy on live animals is 15 days, not 30. Did they tell you it was 30? If you look at the paperwork they gave you when you bought the snake it should clearly state that the guarantee is 15 days. After that you can bring the snake back if you don't want it anymore but they aren't obligated to exchange it or give you any money.

I would also go back and ask them for the snake's feeding chart. All the stores are required to keep them for every snake so they should have it. We've had many baby rainbow boas in our store and even with the less than ideal setups (though we make sure everything is as close to perfect as possible within those limits) we've never had problems getting them to eat frozen/thawed mice. Of course it could be different in your store, but it IS possible to get a healthy, eating rainbow boa from a Petco store.

Honestly to me it sounds like you are stressing this snake out and probably have issues with your setup (these snakes are difficult to keep in aquariums even for experienced keepers). In my experience, especially when they're babies, rainbow boas are very shy and easily startled. Stop handling him until he eats a few times for you and stop trying to feed him so often. Listen to what people are telling you here because they're trying to help you.

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ive recommended this idea to quite a few people and they had good results...... in the case of a wire lid you can just get rid of the wire and cut a piece of plywood to fit your top and then cut two or three holes however may you need for your lights to fit them exactly..... if you cant get them exactly then a little smaller is fime as long as they can still get the light....... and it should be good..... you don't need to worry about ventilation because they will get it through the cracks where the lights are and when you open it up for feeding and handling..... ive had good results from this with my anoles.....

16. mshrmheadcharge

Mercuryjwp, can we get some photos of the enclosure, thermometer and the BRB?

17. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

That was true about 15 days, but they just recently switched it to 30 days. Ive called up there to ask them about the last time the snake fed last. Ive gotten 2 different days by 2 people. I called someone yesterday at the petco (which is a hour from my home.) I know the snake pooped about a week after I gotten it. I called yesterday to ask about the return and they said it would be no problem. The person I spoke with also said the other rainbow was in the back to be observed because it had something on its lip. Thanks for all the good advice from everyone and im not gonna try to feed it again till friday

18. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I'm sure it's still 15 days for every store. Our return policies for fish and merchandise did change recently to allow more time but live animals are still 15 days. If they will take it back for you that's good though, since it is ultimately up to the individual store's discretion. Just make sure you talk to a manager about it because an associate can say they'll take the animal back, but they can't without a manager's permission. If you talked to an associate they could be confused about the new policy too, thinking it also applies to live animals. It's happened once at our store already.

If I were you I would call again and ask for every date that they attempted to feed the snake while it was in their care, what they tried to feed it, and if it ate. They should have that info written down. That way no matter what day the snake last ate you can see if it had a history of refusing meals before you got it.

If you could post the pics mshrmheadcharge asked for that would still be very helpful. There might be something you're missing that's causing him to not eat.

19. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I just called the manager in the NC store and they said they keep no feeding chart records and he said he would honor the 30 day return. But anyway all I want is this snake to eat because ive already became attached to him/her. Ive probaly over held the snake. Here are some pics. I couldnt get a good one of the snake because I dont want to disturb it anymore for a while like you guys said. rainbowboa 002.jpg rainbowboa 002.jpg

20. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

rainbowboa 001.jpg rainbowboa 001.jpg The heat pad is under the moisture box