This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Keep Tegu or Find Him a New Home

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by trombleymat, Jul 29, 2014.

1. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

Okay guys I need your honest opinion, should I re-home my tegu? I'll give you my scenario. I have a Argentine Black and White Tegu, he is about 11 months old if I remember right. He is about 35 inches and weighs 3.5 lbs. I leave for work at 5:30am and I get home around 4:30. Argo usually goes to sleep around 6pm and gets up about 5am ish. I'm getting a second job because I'm proposing to my girlfriend soon. Then I'm getting my own place after we are married. I currently live with my parents to save up on money. Argo is in a 8x4x4 cage in the basement. His temps and humidity are where they should be at. I feed him right and love him to death. He isn't as tame as I hoped he would be but I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with him as I would like. I've been thinking about re-homing him for the past couple weeks but as soon as I get him out I always change my mind back. So what would you guys do in my situation? Be honest, I want to hear everyone's opinions.

2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Is there another job or different hours on the horizon?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, just my thoughts on this. Reptiles do not require any sort of interaction from us to be happy. Most would probably be happier if we just let them be, but some, like tegus, learn to tolerate us very well. So in this case, it's really up to you, as long as you can still take good care of it and the only thing lacking is interaction time, then go ahead and keep it. It might not be as tame as you originally wanted, but your situation may change in the future so that you have more time to work with it. Now if you believe that the level of care you can provide will start to suffer, then yes, it would be best to think about rehoming it. No shame in that, sometimes life changes and we have to deal with what is. Better for it to go somewhere where it can get proper care rather than suffer because you don't have time anymore.

4. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

^ I second what Darkbird said!

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Wise words darkbird!

6. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

Gard, I currently work at the zoo. I'm a seasonal at maintenance but going to get full time when my season ends. I work 40 hrs a week now but only make 9 an hour. I have money saved up but want more money saved up so I wanna get a part time job in the evening to save up a little more faster.
    Darkbird, thanks. That was a great answer. I'm keeping great care of him. I don't think my ability to care will deminish. I should still be able to care for him just the same. I think I will keep him. This should only last a year or so but I think he will be fine. He will probably hibernate in a couple months anyways so not much attention is needed during that time now that I think about it. Thanks for the replys. I posted this on another forum and it took a few days for an answer. Thanks again darkbird. :)