This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Get a Brb?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Ptrkshine617, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

So i have had a kingsnake and currently own a ball python who is thriving in my care. Lately ive been watching videos of brbs on youtube and really admire their beauty and want one of my own. I just keep hearing mixed opinions about their disposition, so are they mean or nippy snakes? are the temps too difficult to keep? and since they are bigger than ball pythons at 7 feet are they considered a large enough constrictor to kill a human?

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

They are nippy as youngsters but just like just bout any other snake they can be calm with proper handling and a little bit of work.

The temperature isn't really the challenge with these snakes, it's the humidity. They require extremely high humidity and it is critical that it be maintained, which can be hard if you don't know what you're doing.

As for killing a person, you're about as likely to be killed by a brazilian rainbow boa as you are your ball python...

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Humidity is super hard to get right. It has to be almost raining seems like. With the high humidity you have to be careful of mold.

I've owned snakes for a while, and I've been bitten one time. Since I've gotten him I've been bit 5-6 times. So mine is nippy. We feed him weekly but he's always striking thinking I'm food. I love him dearly but he's the hardest animal I keep.

Anything that constructs can kill. You just have to be smart with holding and get cage locks for the cages.

4. pinsonoso

pinsonoso New Member

I have one which is my first snake,very calm disposition..i handle mine almost every day though. Humidity is actually pretty simple, just keep mine in a plastic enclosure with holes drilled on each side but not too many,repti-bark substrate, large water bowl on warm side small on cool side,2 hides and some plastic plants and mist when substrate gets dry..humidity stays at 99% Anyway, I love my BRB and have had no problems going on 2 months now....I say get one,good luck!!!

5. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Hmmm, on the Rainbow Boa forum asking if you should get one? Duh, yeah!!!

Yes they can be handled and yes, at times they can nip, mostly it's the babies though.

As already mentioned the hardest part is the humidity. With the wrong cage it is impossible, with the right one, it's easy. I always recommend one of the plastic box style cages with no added vents. Also need a large surface area water bowl and a damp moss hide box can help get just a little more humidity if need be.

I'm in dry California and with proper caging they have been thriving in my care for over 25 years.

6. DeftTech

DeftTech New Member

i have a BRB for my first snake, as long as you have a good habitat for the BRB they are about as easy as it gets, they eat well.

i have a baby BRB and he must be the best tempered one ever cause there's no sign of aggression from him, he's never nipped or bit me at all.

Only get a BRB if you think you can keep the humidity around 90%, meaning you'll need to get a misting system, good substrate, possibly make a Palludarium like i did, i've got moss and live plants in there as well. He's doing really well.

don't get ECO-Earth that stuff is crap, get Tree Fern substrate from exo-terra, it's much more natural and my snake loves it, he burrows and everything and is great for growing live plants and moss