This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Feed It or No?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Thalatte, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well I have some massive hornworms, seven are really big and two are slightly smaller and am wondering if I can feed hem to either my 18Tol CWD or my full size beardie? The worms look like they are going to pupate soon and I don't want to impact my dragons with massive squishy worms... Here's a pic: image.jpg

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The general rule is don't feed anything larger then the space between the eyes

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

But that doesn't really apply to soft bodied insects like caterpillars. Even if the cat is larger in diameter than the width between the dragons eyes it will pop/squish once the dragon takes its first bite. Animals with tough carapaces/exoskeletons or vertebrates are another story...at least for lizards.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know and I follow that rule for most feeders but on something's like earthworms and superworms it doesn't apply so I was wondering if this is the same as they have no hard parts that would cause impaction but I don't know if they would be able to digest it?

5. mshrmheadcharge

I wasn't even considering the lack of exoskeleton :)

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

For squishy worms, as per several individuals and breeders I posed this question to not long ago, the rule is no longer than the length of the torso, and no wider than the width of the head.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok so it would be ok for beardie but not CWD thanks. Though that still doesn't quite explain earth worms though those are much thinner.

8. mshrmheadcharge

You can chop the earth worms up :)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh yuck...but guess I might have to dedicate a knife and cutting board to animals...why not? they already have color coded bowls, tupperwares, and magic bullet.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Who needs a dedicated cutting board when you've got the magic bullet! A couple slaps and you've got yourself some worm patay ;)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Right? And then serve on crackers and you have gourmet appetizers!

12. mshrmheadcharge

Just use your teeth.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

MmmmMmmm good!

14. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I am completely disturbed. Reading this thread is like the perfect diet. Hungry? Nope, not anymore! ;)

On a completely off-topic note - I had a dream once as a kid that I was drinking some milk that tasted funny, so I looked in the glass and a big earthworm was floating in it. I woke up nauseous, and was turned off milk (and worms) for months. Ever since then, I've always been a bit leary of them.

On-topic - does your water dragon eat earthworms whole, or do you chop them up using one of the many palatably-pleasing methods mentioned above? I want to try feed worms to my croc skink, but unsure if I should cut them up or leave them whole. My concern is that they'll die before he gets to them if they're hacked into many pieces. Considering they're long and skinny like it was mentioned, I'm not thinking the length rule applies to them?

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No it doesn't. If the lizard is a good size and not a baby then I feed them whole. For instance my 18in CWD gets whole worms but I felt Fei (9in approx) was to little for them so I feed her red wigglers or chopped worms though to chop them I just gave them to the box turtle who ate one half and would always leave the other half wiggling around. Then again Fei had no interest in the worms so I don't know if she could have handled them or not.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ps: want me to turn you off bottled soda? Or tuna fish?

17. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

^^disturbed...

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

We know you are but we are ok with it...It is what makes you interesting to talk to. :-"

19. MentatIx

MentatIx Active Member

I could use an excuse not to drink soda. If you ruin tuna for me, though, we're gonna have words.

Though since nothing in here has queered me off eating worms yet I think my soda addiction is safe. :cool:

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I opened a brand new 2liter for a party and after it was mostly emptied I noticed a tail floating on top...Well turned out an entire mouse had been bottled and everyone had been drinking it...