This Disappears When Logged In

Should I Be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by puzzlebean, Jan 19, 2011.

1. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Today is Jigsaw's second day in his new home. I am wondering if I should be concerned about his humidity levels. I moved the hygrometer to the bottom of his tank. It still reads nothing...except directly after I changed his water and spilled it (lol) it now reads 20...but I know that will go down and back to reading nothing.

I have a moist hide in there I have been spritzing with warm water daily, and he a fresh water dish. Advice?

Edit: Jigsaw is a corn snake.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm guessing this is for a Leopard Gecko? If so, the only moisture you need to be worried about is the moist hide. They come from a dry arid climate. He'll seek out the hide when he needs the moisture.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might want to cover the screen in the top a bit and move the water bowl over the heater. Or else invest in a room humidifier. In the winter our heating systems dry out the air something terrible. I used to have to fight mine all winter. The relative humidity in my reptile room was 16%!
    The extra moisture is good for us as well!

4. Merlin

Liz its an african fat tail gecko.

5. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Oh, sorry, no this is for my corn snake. I thought I said that but then I read back and realized I didn't.

6. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I meant to specify it's for the corn snake, not the gecko. That was my bad. Puzzle (gecko) tends to be fine in the dry levels of the house, he goes into his moist hide and gets water when he's dry. I didn't know if Jigsaw (corn snake) would do the same thing. He hasn't touched his moist hide...but I have no idea about these guys' habits.

7. Merlin

Oops I was thinking about your gecko as well.
    But the same advice I posted still applies. Corns are native to the SE US and are adapted to pretty good humidity levels.

8. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I also remember reading that they can't tolerate high levels...so what's worse? I had a humidifier for Puzzle at one point (of course I got rid of it haha) and it skyrocketed his levels. This was ok for him, b/c AFTs can tolerate high levels. But aren't corn snakes more sensitive?

I have Kathy Love's guide on order...should be coming soon then I can read it and answer all my own questions. Haha!

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If it's one of those circular hygrometer units.
    They are grossly inaccurate.

10. Merlin

You don't want extremely high levels but what you are experiencing is akin to them trying to survive in Death Valley. Humidity levels that low are dangerous particularly for a hatchling as they will be prone to dehydration. I would try for the 30-50% range.

11. Merlin

I would try getting a larger water bowl and sit it on your UTH. That plus restricting some of the air flow out the screen may be enough to help.

12. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Nope, it's a digital one. :)

Hmmmm that's an idea. Or maybe a second bowl? Do I have to worry about him drowning if it's too deep? That seems like a stupid question, but I'm a newbie and he's a baby...

13. Merlin

Snakes can swim. As long as there is easy access in and out there should not be a problem.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would try covering up part of the top of the screen. A little cover goes a long way.

15. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Thanks, guys. For a quick fix, I put a magazine over it. I spritzed his coconut, which holds some moisture. I'll have to get out and get a bigger water dish.

Do I put his moist hide on the warm side? That's what I have always done with Puzzle...Jigsaw hasn't touched his...will he if he needs it?

16. Merlin

He is still getting accustomed to his new home. If he needs it he will find it.

17. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I have never watched humidity for my corns. I have been keeping them for a long rime an never had an problems with humidity. An they have always shed in one piece with no retained shed. Most places I have lived have baseboard heating an I use lights for tank heat.So two things that really kill the humidity.

18. Hi,

From working with Angie a flordia cornsnake the humidity needs to be about 50% when she is about to shed normally her cage is misted using a hand held mister, like a garden water spray. In his hide you can put some damp moss my milksnake loves it but he doesnt stay in it at all the time mainly for a few days every few weeks.