This Disappears When Logged In

Shelves for Stacking Terrariums?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Merry07, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merry07

Merry07 Member

I have limited space in my house and so I haven't been able to get as many reptiles as I really want because I have nowhere to put all the tanks. I asked my parents if I could have a set of shelves for my birthday that would hold about three tanks (either 10gal or 20L tanks probably) sort of stacked on top of each other on shelves with a cabinet or some drawers underneath to store things in. While this is a good idea, the problem now becomes finding it and so far I haven't had much luck.

Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a dresser/shelves like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever had this problem and any advice would be great. We also don't have a huge huge budget to work with, but any suggestions are better than none.

Thanks a ton!
    -Merry

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You could look on craigslist for something that's right or can be converted easily or you could make something fairly cheaply

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can usualy find bookshelves at Walmart and similar stores for about 30 dollars. The one I have is 6 ft x 28inches by 12 inches deep.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Or those rubbermaid storage shelves at Home Depot. They aren't the prettiest, but they are strong and adjustable and tall.

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

The only suggestion I have is to figure our how much clearance you need above each tank before making a purchase! I have tried a couple of different shelving concepts and the problem that I have run into seems to be lack of access through the top of the tank. I have had to pull tanks forward, or remove them from the shelf completely, to change water and clean. It would be much easier to remove the lid and reach in!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They make many sets of shelves that can be completely adjusted. Utility shelves, check your local home depot or lowes. Those combined with some plastic drawer things from wal mart ought to do you.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is what I use for some of my cages. You can see the shalves are adjustable, so it can be rearranged in a matter of moments. Second picture shows the notches... shelves can be adjusted using the notches, to any height you like. They were inexpensive galvanized shelves I got from wal*mart.

Attached Files:

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of the cheaper ones can be reinforced further by adding strips of wood underneath the shelves.
    Just make sure you don't overload them.

9. Merry07

Merry07 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I may just end up having to build my own, but hopefully I'll be able to find something!

10. crazyfroglady

crazyfroglady Active Member

I bought a whole bunch of them from walmart for around $30 a piece, Here's what they look like

HPIM0477.jpg

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.