This Disappears When Logged In

Shelled Critter Id Please

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Ipanda, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Awww. Just make sure the water end is not too deep - they aren't aquatic turtles, but they do like to soak often in a shallow pool. Sounds like he has a good thing going.

Any Idea how old the box turtle is?

2. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I have absoultly no clue, the vet didnt do much monday except draw blood for the rep panel. He really didnt want to do much more till he has ajusted to my home. After a couple weeks we go in to have his beak filed, he is starting to have trouble opening his mouth, and they may trim his nails if he hasnt worn them down on his rocks, Im hopeing my vet will be able to tell me how old he is... Does anyone know how to tell? The water I read shouldnt be more than an inch, so thats what were keeping it at, and he seems pretty happy he has water in his cage... He likes to climb in and out and in and out of his water part lol

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They will probably want to trim the nails this once, and then depend on the rocks to keep them from growing out again.

Turtle shells do have growth rings (not unlike trees) though there is a specific way they are supposed to be counted. I'd have to do more research on that for you.

There may or may not be other ways of narrowing it down. Some species of tortoise (and I'm not sure if this is one) their shells will change shape in certain areas with age to facilitate breeding/egg laying, etc. That isn't very exact, but it would tell you if it's old enough to breed. All you would know is it was over X years old.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The beleif that rings of trees and turtle shells can be counted and tell their age is a myth. The rings on both are a result of growth. Good conditions for rapid growth make more rings and poor conditions make fewer rings in the same time frame.

5. BrendanA

BrendanA Member

Looks like an Eastern Box to me. Congrats on that guy, he looks nice

6. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Thank you. We sure are enjoying him already.

7. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

What are you feeding him? I have herd that they like worms and sometypes of veggies

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They will often eat worms/insects while young, but as adults can thrive on an herbivorous diet.

9. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

oh i got a little confused because my cousin just got a tourtise and he said that they eat worms and crickets.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Every species is different, but the vast majority (if not all) of tortoises are herbivorous.

11. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yea are the babies fun to play with?

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Like all babies, they sure are cute! I can't see any baby animal without wanting one (well, maybe baby parrots - they are ugly.)

The baby turtles are always so pretty when they are young, before their shell records all their hardships - if you think about all the things that leave a mark on those pristine little shells by the time the turtle is old. Dings and dents, scuffs, scars, signs of wear (or neglect in some cases). Shells tell a long story.

13. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yea what should I do with my turtle tank? Can you post some pics of your tank

14. AnnaRW

AnnaRW Elite Member

Here's my tank - it's actually a poly horse trough, and their water is a little over an inch, I think, and it looks like my boxies are a little smaller than yours. I used the biggest ceramic potting pan I could find. So long as the dirt/rocks lead up to it just fine, they go in and out like crazy. I watched pretty closely when I first set it up to make sure they didn't have problems with the in and out, and the ceramic keeps the water pretty warm, too.

-A

Attached Files:

15. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Where did you get that tank? I want to look into that type of tank.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They are nice, but my cats would get into them. I think I remember seeing someone post in another thread that you can get those tubs from tractor supply company.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any farm supply store should have them.

18. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Ok I'll go search for it now..

19. whoa whoa

whoa whoa Member

I'm from MD and I see box turtles in pet shops sometimes they keep a lot in one 10 or 20 gallon I feel bad for them that's why I don't buy anything from that pet shop box turtles are really cool I like your habitat for then anna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.