This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by RoxyWolf, Feb 14, 2012.

1. RoxyWolf

RoxyWolf New Member

My young Limburger Albino Rosy Boa, Worth, seems to be having some difficulty shedding. Does anyone have any tips to offer me on helping him get out of his old skin?
    He's still quite young (I'm not sure HOW young, but let's say he's going to be feeding in pinkies for a while yet) and rather... nippy. Even though he's a desert-dweller, since he's started shedding I've seen him soak in his water bowl now and again; I presume it's in an effort to soften up the old layer of skin so he can rub it off more easily. He has plenty of things to rub against to get the skin off, but his lower half seems to still be having difficulties.

Also, I'm new here. Hello, everyone.

2. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the site! I'm no snake expert, but it sounds like you should try the pillowcase trick. You take a wet but not dripping towel and put it in a pillowcase with the snake. You can leave the snake like that for awhile, and when you take it out, it should have lost all the old shed.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Even desert dwellers have access to a moist hide (dew accumulation points) and use that high humitity to loosen things up. The pillowcase trick works as well as having a tupperware "hide" with a damp towel workes as well.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I've never had a problem with my rosy's shedding nor does he have a moist hide, but the pillowcase trick does work well. You can also soak him.

Soaking in the water dish can also be a sign of mites so just keep an eye out if he starts doing it alot.

5. justcolleen

justcolleen Well-Known Member

Hello, I am also new here, and I am also having problems with my Coastal Rosy Boa. He, Bluebarry, hasnt shed since I got him in Feb. and now he has stopped eating for 4 weeks now :(, he still strikes and constricts, but then just leaves it! What does an adult Rosy boa usually feed on? I have tried all different sizes, but Im really not sure!

6. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Welcome to the both of you.

First I just wanna say that in the past I have also done the pillow case trick and I recommend trying it as well, or even a tupperware and damp towel as well, either way usually works.

justcolleen, what is it that you are currently feeding (size as well as how often was he feeding before he stopped) and how do you go about feeding your boa? Also how old is Bluebarry?

7. justcolleen

Well I first fed him 2 adult mice, then moved up to 1 small rat, but he wouldnt take it the second time so I went down to 1 rat pup. Im not sure how old, they just said he was an adult(full grown), he is about 2 ft long and about the width of a quarter. He has a really short tail like my female Ball Python, so Im not even sure hes a boy! It would explain alot if he was actually a girl, as I have these issues with my BP! I feed all my snakes once a week, except for my adult Columbian Red Tail Boas, they usually eat 2 jumbo rats every 2 weeks. Except for my gravid female, who has a jumbo once a week. They both usually eat what the others dont also!

8. DarkMagician207

Rosy's have short tails so going by tail length or thickness to determine whether it's male or female would be iffy. My adult (I just call him a he but I'm not 100 percent, it's just what I was told and I never had him probed) is over 10 years old and he is about 2 - 2 1/2 feet long. He eats 1 large mouse every 3 weeks, sometimes. I say sometimes because he goes off feed for about 5-6 months during the year for his "winter fast". As they get older, they shed less, because they don't grow as quickly as they do when they were younger. Mine only sheds a few times a year. If he took a small rat, chances are he may not be hungry, that's a large meal.

9. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

I agree, it sounds like he may not be ready to feed yet.

10. justcolleen

Ok, thank you very much for the info, I guess Im just used to all my other snakes shedding quite regular, as in every six weeks! My Corns especially, but then they are only 1 and 2 yrs old! I have only had my Rosy since Feb. so we are still gettin to know each other! He bit me once, but is now very sweet. I did end up taking him back on Sat. and they probed him for me and he's a he! Next feeding day, this Fri will be 3 weeks so Im hopin! :) Next I need to bring in my corn snakes, we were told by both places that we got each of them, one is a girl and one is a boy, yet their tails are exactly the same! Are your Corns the same?

11. DarkMagician207

I've had both of my corns since they were little strings with eyes so I was used to them being garbage disposals when they were younger. They are now only a few years younger than Chaos (my Rosy). The longer you have them, the more you get to learn their personalities and their schedules. My corns aren't interested in eating every week like they used to, it's usually every 2 to 3 weeks. They don't shed as often as they used to either as they age. They also eat large mice, I have tried small rats for them but they don't seem to like them but they will readily accept large mice so that's what I have stuck with. I can still see a lump in them after they have eaten. Their tails are both the same length but like Chaos, my 2 corns have never been probed either, I just call them both boys too lol.

If he ends up not eating, don't worry. Three weeks is nothing to a snake although the amount of time they can go without eating can sure make us crazy. As long as he is otherwise healthy and isn't losing any weight, he should be just fine. Rosy boas are dusk feeders as well. I don't know when you feed yours but I feed mine when it is darker out. I also put dark towels over their feeding bins and that seems to help.

12. justcolleen

Yep, my 2yr old corn is just now starting to refuse eating weekly, so my 1yr old is being the garbage disposal! He is eating his and half of hers this week! Im pretty used to finicky eaters as my adult female Ball Python is great for that! So I might try the older Corn next week with a small mouse! Shes/ hes, been eating two fuzzy rat pinkies and the younger guy eats two pinky rats and one of the fuzzies this week!
    Thank you for your awesome reply!

13. DarkMagician207

No problem! :)