This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Proud, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Proud

Proud Member

My friend's rat snake started to shed a few weeks ago and it only shedded half of its skin, he's getting concerned. Is there anything anyone might think is wrong with him?

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Can you provide details about how the snake is housed? Type/size of enclosure? Screen top? Ambient temperature? Basking spot temperature? Relative humidity? How the temps and humidity are being measured? Types of lighting? Etc... : ] I'm sure someone will offer some ideas!

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Sounds like a humidity problem. If the snake has a moist hide to go to when it's shedding, that will help a lot. For the stuck shed, recommend a warm bath and if that doesn't work, the pillowcase trick.
    If you don't know what I mean by that, put the snake and a damp towel in an old pillowcase, tie the pillowcase shut and leave it overnight. By morning all the old skin should be rubbed off.

4. Proud

Proud Member

And that actually works? I'll post pictures of the enclosure.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes it works. The increased moisture loosens the remaining shed and the snake moving around in the rough towel cleans it off.

6. Proud

Proud Member

And the snake won't die from lack of air?

7. hennisntacanibal

Not at all. They don't require as much oxygen as we do and pillowcases are made of breathable fabric.

8. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Never heard of that trick but good to know for future reference

9. Proud

Proud Member

Should he put the pillow case with the snake in it inside the terrarium or outside the terrarium?

10. hennisntacanibal

It's always good to keep it inside, in case of escape.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Inside. Not only do you not have to worry about the snake getting out but it keeps the whole thing warm.