This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by 30mm, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hey guys, Kaa's eyes have clouded up so he's going to shed soon! I had a couple of questions about this though.

Should I not handle him while his eyes are clouded? It makes sense not to with him not being able to see right.

He also has some spots of old shed on him, will it come off with this shed or is there something I need to do to help aid it off? I let him slither through my hands while I keept them wet with warm water. It helped get some off but not all.

About how long will it be till' he sheds? His eyes have been clouded for about two days now.

Lastly, I fed him 8 days ago and his next feeding is coming up. Should I wait till' he sheds to feed him or feed him before?

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I wouldn't recommend handling any snake during shed unless you really needed to move the snake. As far as feeding I feed all my snakes during shed, if they eat is another question though most all do. I've never had the problems others state when the refer to feeding while in shed but overall heath plays more of a role in these cases. The old peaces of the shed will most likely come off with this one keep the humidity up and hope for the best. If it doesn't come off clean theres a few methods that can be used to remove it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Neither of my boas will feed when milky. During shed cycle I don't even bother trying to feed. It won't hurt them to wait till the next feeding day and why waste the rat?
    I also do not handle during shed. Since they can't see very well and are uncomfortable many snakes get grumpy and you risk a bite. The old skin should come off with the current shed. Just pop your humidity up a notch.
    But that's a good practice with any shedding snake.

4. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Cool, thanks guys.

5. dankaholic256

dankaholic256 Active Member

I have a rather similar question. Joselyns eyes have been soooo blue for quite a few days now, almost a week... will she shed soon? This is only the second cycle she's been through, but her first shed went wonderfully. I'm just hoping she sheds soon.

P.S. She really really likes her new hide I got her, so she doesn't spend much time outside of that anyhow. I assume she'll shed when she's ready, but how long can the process take before I should get worried/soak her?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The eyes will clear up and shortly thereafter she will shed.
    You don't need to worry unless she shed in peices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.