This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Problems

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by MatchCense, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

Hello, I have had my little rainbow boa for about a month now. And he is going through his first shed with me. I have noticed that the shed is all patchy and flaky. Unlike my last snake ( which was a corn snake ) shed perfectly fine. Well it has been 2 weeks since he started to shed, I put him a moist bag, gave him warm bath but he just doesn't seem to want to rub his skin off. I make sure his tank is nice and moist as well. What else can I do for him? I mean, I scrubbed him a little bit but I don't know if this will be a problem always. He has eaten just fine all that, drinks, sleeps. Just doesn't feel like shedding off his skin.

2. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

your humidity is too low. also try soaking in a warm bath. bring up your humidity some and it should help. always increase humdity a bit during shed

what are your temps and humidity levels? does he have a rough surface to rub against. need more info

3. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

yes to all of that, he just doesn't rub against the things I give him. After his warm baths he just goes in circles his tank and then just lays there.

4. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

do not scrub. you can damage the new scales. you can get a warm wet wash cloth and wipe down his body in the direction of scales lightly and what is ready to come off will. if not do NOT pull or scrub

5. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

I don't scrub him hard, I take the brush I have and go down his back lightly to help the scales. I would never .-. ever ever evers scrub him hard. He just seems lazy and does not want to shed his skin.

6. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

never use a brush. like a i said a warm wet wash cloth only! you can still rip the skin off thats not ready if you use a brush.

not attacking just trying to help

7. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

Oh, I know :3 I just wanted you to know that I would never do that to a snake <3 Somebody else might read it and get the wrong idea.

8. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

yeaa. well i hope it works. how long are you soaking?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what`s the humidity range, and what type of hygrometer are you using to check (analogue or digital)?

10. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

I let him soak until the water turn cold.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You should make sure the water remains luke warm (approx 75 to 80f), as the water cools, so does the snake, perhaps to too low a level.
    Can you put a few photos up? Thanks!

12. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

okay, I will be getting him out to soak again will get them then.

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Exactly...correct humidity is the key to good shedding! You should have no problem if the humidity levels are correct.
    Apart from this, sometimes they may take a bit longer between sheds, for any reason or none at all.

14. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Humidity level lower than 80-90 is the PRIMARY cause of poor shedding. Soaking and damp cloths will help with this shed but until you fix the root cause (humidity) you will not get good sheds.

Please describe your setup including type of enclosure, method of heating, type and amount of ventilation, temps and humidity levels if known. Will be happy to make suggestions on what if anything to change. I've been keeping BRB's for 25 years and have lots of experience with them.

15. MatchCense

MatchCense Member

I use two heat lamps, one day and one night. He has a large enough bowl to soak in and I mist him a lot since he is shedding. I don't know the exact humidity level but at the start of his shed I was misting twice a day to keep it up but he got mucus build up and made a little popping sound. I stopped the misting twice a day to only once a day and started to soak him in warm water. ( did this until it go cold and took him out) I also tried the bag method of a soaked bag two nights in a row but that didn't seem to work. After all this stuff I do for him, all he does when he gets in his tank is move to go curl up. Not trying to take off his skin at all, I even ran a rough towel down him to see of that would help. ( I think he is just a very lazy snake and does not want to work to get his skin off) The people who owned him before me said they gave him lots of bath during shedding. x.x This may of caused the problem.

I did work with him last night and snagged a piece of his dead skin and it took a big hunk off of him, I just might have to slowly do this until it is all they way off x.x

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you really must stop forced handling immediately, you are causing much stress.
    You haven`t given the basking surface temp or coolest ambient (air) temps and what you use to measure them with (I notice you say you don`t know what the humidity is). Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe ?
    EDIT: Can you put a few photos up?

17. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

As already posted, STOP forcing the shed to come off. Yes I have and will pull bits off but ONLY very gently and ONLY when they come off easily.

Not exactly full description of your enclosure but two things from what you did say.... "two heat lamps" and "tank". From that I am envisioning a screen topped fish tank with two heat lamps! If that is what you have it's pretty much the worst possible enclosure to keep a BRB in. Things to change if that is the case....

1) Lose the heat lamps in favor of a under tank heater controlled by a thermostat.
    2) Cover MOST of the screen top plastic like lexan. You can drill a few holes for ventilation but they do not need lots of ventilation, that's actually why the enclosure is dry and not humid, all the warm moist air is escaping out the top.
    3) Wrap three sides of the tank with insulation to help lessen the heat loss.

NOTE - VERY IMPORTANT. ANY and ALL of the changes listed above could cause a temperature spike if not properly controlled by a thermostat. Even if properly controlled it's BEST to closely monitor conditions when making those types of changes.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You have given us neither temperatures nor humidity levels.
    Do you have a thermometer and hygrometer?

19. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

He needs a higher humidity probably.

20. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

You need a higher maintained humidity misting just won't do because it just spikes the humidity and then drops till you can mist again. Look into getting a fogger or humidifier. Also I have heard good things about zoo meds shed aid.

And yeah I realize this is an older thread but figured id try to help in case people are still looking ...like me lol