This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Problems in Baby Milk. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by HappyAppy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

I have a baby albino nelson's milksnake that is having a hard time shedding. Im pretty sure it's due to lack of humidity, which I would have seen to...had I known he was in shed. I've never had an albino before and he didn't show any of the signs since he's so good natured. Yesterday I was feeding and I noticed that the head part had come off, but the rest is stuck and I'm afraid he's dehydrated. I've put him in a shallow container of warm water to soak for now and I'm hoping it helps, at least to hydrate him. It's only been overnight that I've noticed so I hope I've caught it early enough since I see him daily. Please help if you know if anything else to do to get him through this shed safely. Now that I look back maybe he did seem more cloudy than usual, but it just baffles me I didn't even realize he was in shed.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

well he wont hydrate by placing him in the water unless he is actually drinking it, but if you have a screen top then you might want to place a bigger bowl of water in there and mist it a little and then keep the screen covered..... all the time...... to hold in the humidity but for right now you might want to pick up a little bit of shed ease from a pet store and put some in some soaking water for her and it might help loosen it up.......

3. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

I did the soak and gave him a moist hide and he finally shed. He must have drank during the soak because he has lost the "crinkly" appearance. Granted I had to manually work the tip of the tail piece off, but he's back to normal and I'm one relieved snake mom :) Thank you so much for the help. Do you recommend soaking milks anyway during a shed. I've read that they can have a hard time. I will always put the moist hide in there for the next time...now that I know what an albino looks like in shed. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I would post pictures but he's so traumatized by this mornings events and he behaved so well I figured I'd give him a few days off from handling :)

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

any reptile in shed its a good idea to soak and keep the skin moist so it makes it easier...... if you don't get the shed off right then it can cut the circulation to that area and that's how your snakes lose parts of the tail and lizards toes and tail tip too.....

5. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

Thank you so much!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just keep a humid hide available to him all the time. He will use it as needed.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yw good luck