This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding issues

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Elisa, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elisa

Elisa New Member

I have a few years experience with ball pythons already, but my sister recently aquired a young (about a foot and a half) one from a guy who did not take proper care of it at all. It is now her's, we have had this snake before when she would "snake-sit" for a couple days here and there. when we first encountered it , he was the same size as my ball, now, mine is twice the size. It's as though it hasn't grown at all in the past year. I'm aware of all the things the past owner neglected, and he (the snake) is now well taken care of. But, one thing I don't understand is that the past owner told us that this is his third time shedding in the past month. Is that possible, or is he full of it? I checked for mites and found nothing. If it is possible for a snake to shed that often, what would be the cause?

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

In my boa book, it said that an injured snake may go through several sheds in rapid succession. Since you said he had been neglected, perhaps he was injured?
    I wish your sister all the best with him and well done for adopting this poor animal and giving it a better home!

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

It is puzzling that it hasn't grown much in a year, however individual snakes grow at different rates, and if this snake wasn't looked after it may have stunted its growth - do you know how old it is? Ofcourse the previous owner may just not have been feeding it regularly and so it won't have been growing, and if it wasn't in the right conditions that would also contribute.

It is possible for a snake, in particular young snakes and snakes that have been neglected or mistreated and are now in the proper conditions, to shed quite often, but it could also be a possibility that the guy was lying, perhaps to make you think that he had been feeding and looking after it properly.

Whatever, just do your best for it now. Don't worry about what might be or what was in the past - concentrate on the future and the road ahead for the little guy. Get a faecal exam done at the vets to check for parasites, and ofcourse quarantine it, and just do your best to take good care of it and give it a good life now it's in your care. Well done to you for taking it on, and good luck. Post some pics if you can! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.