This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Issues with Snake... Help?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Twixxy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

I have my 10 month old Cali King snake for about 6 months now and has 3 complete sheddings and 2 incomeplete sheddings. The 2 incomeplete was due to the humidity being low and what not...
    I believe my snake is in shedding. About a week ago, 6~7 days, his skin was getting cloudy and was hiding out a lot more often(this snake is very active, and when he goes & hides for a week, I know something is up). Upon inspection about 3 days ago, his eyes were very blue and his skin was milky. I checked up on him today, and his eyes are no longer cloudy and his skin is somewhat tinted, but very lightly. His shedding period usually lasts about a week, but I'm becoming very concerned.
    When he was in shedding, I would do very little with the humidity. I would just put a wet damp towel above his cage and hopefully that would do the trick to speed the process a bit. & it usually works... I would also soak him in luke warm water for about 15 minutes, but I can't do that anymore because the hide out tree I got him, he likes to burrow himself ALL THE WAY up in the tree, and I'm unable to get him out. Either that, or he's on the side and when I pick up the tree, he curls back up inside the dang tree, so bathing him is not an option... I've done the towel trick for 5 days straight now, constantly wetting the towel to keep the humidity up, and misting the cage 1~3 times a day. When I mist, the humidity goes from 30\40% straight up for 50\60% for a good hour, then it drops down to 40\50% again, with the towel above his cage.
    What's worrying me is he's been hiding for a good 7~8 days. He has come out to poo and drink some water, but since then, he hasn't come out from hiding. My question is, how much longer is this little guy gunna take to finally shed? Should I make my own humidity box and put that inside the cage and hopefully he'll go inside it when I'm sleeping?
    I'm also worried about keeping the humidity up. Is 40~55% humidity okay?
    Any helpful tips would be wonderful.

2. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Well, to try and think of something, i cut out a small area in this old plastic miracle whip container and put some damp paper towels in there and layed it on its side, so I hope that'll do some good... Any tips? I'm going very anal right now and I'm super paranoid. Just trying to make sure everything is okay..

3. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

In my experience every shed cycle seems to be different, at least with all my snakes they never seem to follow the same routine, I've had my gopher only stay blue for 2 days clear up for 4 before she shed and it was a perfect full shed, and I've had my jungle stay blue for a whole week and then shed the night she cleared up, the only one who is somewhat predictable is my ball. But that being said, don't stress as long as you have provided them with enough humidity they will shed on their own with no problems, they do it in the wild just fine and provided they have a big enough water bowl and humidity is where it should be you should be safe.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

A moist hide is my usual go to on something like this, so your headed in the right direction. Try and use the smallest container it will fit into, and maybe consider getting some sphagnum moss or eco earth for the inside, they should hold humidity better than the paper towel. And don't worry, it'll shed when it's ready.

5. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Thank you both for your responses. Very much appreciated. His sheds are usually pretty normal, and take a week, but he still hasn't come out of that tree. I pick it up & see if he's alright, and he's moving around just fine.All I can do is wait and see for the next couple days.. Any idea when I should start getting concerned?

6. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

WOO! He shed, and shed all in one piece! Thanks for the advice ^_^!

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Like i said, he'll shed when he's ready, lol. Glad it turned out ok.