This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Help

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Mattersmore29, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mattersmore29

Mattersmore29 Member

So my retic had a bad shed. I soaked her while in shed, my humdity and Temps are on par. But she still had a bad shed. Took me two days to get all the shed off of her. I put some rocks in her cage and separated them enough that she could get between them and rub on them for her next shed. Any other suggestions? I'm just used to my boa shedding perfect everytime Lol.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

How big is she? Very large snakes have a tendency to shed in pieces, which may give an impression of a bad shed but it's in fact normal. What are you measuring the humidity and temps with and what are their values? Bad sheds can be caused by poor nutrition, parasites/mites or an RI, but most often it's the humidity or temperature that are at fault. If you're using analogue measuring instruments, they can be very inaccurate, causing you to believe that the temps and humidity are normal when in fact they're not. Check all of that, and don't worry in advance. Correct anything that needs correction, and wait until her next shed. The stones are a good idea, just make sure they don't have any sharp edges that she might hurt herself against :)

3. Mattersmore29

Mattersmore29 Member

she is almost 6 feet. she is a super dwarf. i use a humidity prob thta i bought with my herpastat 2. her humidity is 70% and 80 when i saw that she was going into shed. she eats a medium rat every 7 days. knock on wood i have never even seen a mite, like ever lol. this is my first retic and that was her first shed that i have seen in her have, the breeder told me retics shed in pieces but i didnt think so much would stick on her. hopefully the stones help? maybe the stress of moving her to my home had somthing to do with it? thank you for your response.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I wouldn't worry too much if the snake is otherwise healthy. Bad sheds can really bum you out in the long run, so I certainly hope that she will do better next time. If she doesn't, you can help her get the shed off by rubbing her gently with a wet towel and soaking her. I've heard someone say that during the blue phase the skin doesn't absorb any moisture - Idk how true that is, but you may want to take that into account when planning on bathing her:) Just watch her closely and keep an eye out for any suspicious symptoms:). Oh, and make sure the eyecaps come off with each shed. You can also buy some shedding aid (available at PetSmart and reptile stores), I've personally never used it but apparently it works miracles ;)
    Good luck:)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have a water bowl big enough for the snake to get in and submerge?