This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding Frequency

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by annaj328, Mar 5, 2016.

1. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

I have an 8 month old central American boa. I've had him for a month and he has yet to shed. I can tell he's growing cuz all I ever do is take pictures of him these days and he is filling out nicely and seema longer. His eyes have never turned blue and his skin looks fabulous. How often should a young boa shed? I'm getting impatient...haha.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

On a weekly feeding schedule young boas usaully shed around once monthly. After they're at least one year old I stretch the feeding to every 10 days. They have slow metabolisms, and in the long haul it's better to grow them slower than to powerfeed them.

3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

He's been hiding alot lately, hopefully that means he will shed soon?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

They will shed when they are ready. And it sounds like your might have been a bit underfed? That could slow down the need for a shed.

5. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

He was on small mice once weekly when I got him and that did seem to be not quite enough so I started giving him two at a time which left a sizable lump. I just bought more mice and I skipped meds and went straight to larges. I gave him his first large mouse last night and I wanted to watch him eat it to make sure he didn't have any problems but he stuck his head out of his hide grabbed the mouse and pulled it back into the hide with him...so I didn't get to watch.

Side note: Is there any reason I should be worried that he doesn't seem to like heat or bask much? He's been in his cold hide for a week now(76-80)...do some snakes just prefer to be cooler?

6. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

So I checked on Santiago just now when I got home and his eyes are blue! Yay! And it would appear that he ate the mouse no problem. He is starting to look a lot more like a boa and less like a skinny baby snake. It so cool to be able to watch him grow! I put him on his warm perch but of course he went straight back to his cold hide...as long as he's digesting properly I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I know what you mean about the warm/cool hides, I often see snakes that are anywhere but the warm spot after eating, some are even moving around the enclosure the next day. They are healthy and growing well though, and I've never had any regurges, so obviously they're digesting just fine.

8. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Good to know my baby isn't the only weirdo then haha