This Disappears When Logged In

Shed??

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Cali, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cali

Cali Elite Member

My hatchling Cali King is now 6 weeks old and i have had her for two weeks now and i was wandering when she would likely to shed? The breeder said that she had shed once and fed 4 times when i got her.

I have fed her two times now and soon to be the third. How often do they shed when they are so young?

2. joeking

joeking Elite Member

From what I remember when I first got Joe he shed about once every month when he was that young or maybe a bit less then that. You'll know when he's going to...Mine gets crooked as **** and very unlively before he starts fading. I hope he sheds in one piece for you! I was at the pet shop the other day and they had a cute little python that had shed stuck all over him including an eyecap:( poor guy.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Congrats on your new addition! :)

Hatchling snakes shed in quite quick succession, about every 4 weeks or so, sometimes a little closer together if they are having a growth spurt, and then later further apart.

Your cali will have shed about a week after hatching, prior to his first feed, so he should be due a second shed any time now. He will go a milky colour when he is going into shed, and he may not eat. At this age he will shed about a week after he dulls down and then he will be ready to eat again after shedding.

Good luck - have you any pics to share??:)

4. Cali

Cali Elite Member

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

He sure is more active than my Desert King was. But I must say WHAT is that music in the background. Are you a belly dancer or something.LOL;)

6. Cali

Cali Elite Member

No im not a belly dancer! there is no market for a male elly dancer here in the UK! :( im gutted! lol....but seriously im not! :) its regina spector....my girlfriend loves her as she is really different! not my cuppa tea but hey each to their own! lol

He is a she by the way! lol yeah i am surprised at how active she is as well! although not complaining! im getting a feed put n vid soon and i will post that as well!

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Shes a cutie!

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

He's a pretty little thing, thanks for sharing:)

9. Cali

Cali Elite Member

HE IS A SHE!!!! lol she will be very offended to be thought of as a guy! lol thanks for your comments though guys! i think her last feed will be tomorrow before she sheds as i have noticed a slight dulling of her skin. Fingers crossed she sheds with no problem.

Also what tell tale signs should i be looking for if the shed does not go as planned? just my first shed thats all! :eek:

10. mshrmheadcharge

Her eyes will go "blue" then clear up about 3 days later, then after the blue eyes clear up she will shed within 3-5 days

11. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

You may want to use a cake pan instead however... You really don't wanna run the risk of tipping it and spilling sand all over your oven! :eek:

12. Cali

Cali Elite Member

EH??????? Queen 'O Green what does that mean and what relevance does it have to shedding of skin? lol

13. mshrmheadcharge

haha, Cali I was wondering the same thing :p I think she ment to reply to the sand as substrate for crickets thread..

14. Cali

Cali Elite Member

yeah me to! lol i read the sand post after this and it does make sense!

While your on here could i pick your brain as im worrying a bit a i do not know if i should or not!

I have literally just fed noodle my cali and she eat it bum first which is the first time she has done this! now she is wriggling a lot more than she normally does after a feed! is this normal and will she be ok?

Like i said i do not know if i should be worried as this is the first time she has done this.

please re-asure me lol

15. mshrmheadcharge

How big was the rodent in compairson to Noodles girth? Sometimes they do this if the rodent size isnt big enough, and sometimes they do it for no reason at all lol. Both of my corns used to take their pinks rear-end first. Just keep a close eye out for regurges, although I think she will be fine.

16. Cali

Cali Elite Member

the pinkie was 1 1/2 times the width of the snake she had no problem eating it other than the fronts legs! just couldnt get it in so she had to break the arm in the end! heard the crack and everything.

No regurge yet but will keep you posted!

thanks for calming me down! your a star!

17. mshrmheadcharge

Haha, no problem. She should be fine, I usually make sure all the legs of the rodent are up against its body, it makes for easier swallowing but its really not a huge deal, youll just get to hear that nasty cracking f a bone every now and then ;).

18. Cali

Cali Elite Member

yeah i think she is going to be ok as still no regurge! and if im right in thinking it normally happens within about 20-30mins after feeding? if its gonna happen that is. Vomitting is after that period am i right?

well i didnt get much of a chnace to make sure she took it head first as i think she was rather hungy put it that way! as soon as i went to put it in the feeding tank she went for it made me jump so i drop it in off the tweezers! f/t by the way so not live! then she kinda went straight for the bum! tried to pry it off her to change it before she started eating it but she had none of it! lol

The bone crunching sound was'nt that bad just surprised at her strength to do that! its totally fascinating! I LOVE IT!!! :)

19. Cali

Cali Elite Member

I saw the pics of libbi! it is my favourite snake i think and i really want one! they are so gorgeous! but i had to do the sensible thing of getting a small easily cared for snake such as a cali king for my first snake as didnt wanna get a big one to start off! but one day!!!

Are they good tempered? easy to care for? etc etc?

20. mshrmheadcharge

Well, they can vomit anytime after they eat really. Like I said I really dont think you have anything to worry about. And dont even bother trying to turn they rodent the right way, she will figure it out eventually haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.