This Disappears When Logged In

Settled on a Carpet Python, Just a Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Andyc3020, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

A few questions before I dive too deep into my plans to get a carpet python.

I'm building an enclosure out of materials I already have. I have two pieces of glass that are 23" x 32" each. Not sure if it is going to be a hinged door or sliding door yet, but I am trying to decide if I want to go vertical or horizontal. I know these guys are "semi-arboreal" but I'm thinking it will be best to make the cage longer rather than taller. I have read a few threads where people have built or started building upright cages, but they never said how much the snakes used the vertical space after they were finished. so my options are 46" tall x 32" long... or 32" tall x 46 long... or 64" long x 23 tall.. I think my best option is 32" tall x 46" long What are your thoughts?

What do you think about using slate tiles for the bottom of the enclosure? Should I just put the heat pad under the tiles?

About "mutt snakes" or "mix"... not sure what to call them really... I know some people value their snake's pure bloodline. Is there a reason besides breeding purposes? Are there health issues associated with interbreeding sub-species? I'd obviously rather get a pure bloodline python, but there are some good looking mixes in my opinion.

If anyone has any other advice let me know.

Thanks!

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm thinking 32 tall and 46 long sounds good IMO. Seems like more space to move around I would think. Not too keen on sandwiching the chest pad with out much air flow. Can't really help with that but I would worry about it over heating.

As to the mixing, I've seen some interesting ones but I'm one of those that prefers pure. Within the species seems OK but not too big of a fan of it. My 2 cents

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

i have never used heat mats before. how should i use it? I will use a thermostat.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

If your cage bottom is wood you are going to have to cut a hole in the bottom, then glue a piece of stone or slate tile on top of the hole. You'll mount the heat pad to the tile, not the the wood. You will also need to make sure that there is at least a small gap on the bottom of the cage for excess heat to escape and so you don't crush the cord. You don't want the pad resting on anything.

In a cage as big as the one your planning you will definitely need an overhead heat source of some kind. Under tank heaters eally don't do anything to raise the air temp in a bigger cage. The best heater you can get is a radient heat panel. They are a little pricy but totally worth it. If you can't swing the cost then you should wire a incandescent fixture directly to the ceiling and use a ceramic heat emmiter in that fixture, but you will need some kind of bulb gaurd. The radient heat panel wouldn't need to be protected, they don't get hot enough to be harmful.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

i'm afraid a ceramic heat emitter will dry the air out. especially since I don't plan to use substrate.

I have to add some kind of lighting anyway. Can I not use regular incandescent flood lights for heat? Low wattage...

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

snakes and tile dont work well. slate dont have enough texture for the snake to get grip to move. with out some type of substrate how are you going to keep the humidity where it needs to be depending on your snakes reguirements. you have not said what type of carpet you want. a coastal in not a climbing snake, as to where a jungle is. a coastal would make use of a 64" long enclosure.

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Yes, a CHE will dry the air out a bit. The radient heat panel is absolutely your best option, I just wanted to give you an alternative. Honestly carpets aren't super humidity dependant like some species. I use a CHE in one of my carpets set ups and I only mist about once a week. He just had a perfect shed yesterday. A jungle would need a little bit more humidity maintenance, but its still not something to drive yourself nuts over

If this were MY project, and cost wasn't a factor, I'd set it up like this: 36 tall, 48 long. Radient heat panel mounted on the ceiling. Also on the ceiling a fluorescent light fixture (snakes don't actually need in cage lighting, and do just fine without it, so this light is for your viewing pleasure more than anything). Floor done with tile (cheap peel and stick linoleum, aside from the spot the heat mat is going). One small under tank heater on the bottom, you just need an area big enough to put a hide on top of. This way your snake doesn't have to choose between warmth and security. Both the heat panel and heat mat will need thermostats. You can either get an expensive one that can control both heaters seperately or opt for 2 cheaper ones working independently. Also I'd go for drop down style doors. I have 3 different cages all with different styles of doors, and I like the drop down one the best.

Honestly the heat mat isn't absolutely essential, but if your able to provide it I'm sure your snake will appreciate the additional option.

I really would recommend using some kind of substrate. Its not expensive, and it doesn't have to be fancy. It can also still be visually appealing. A mix of cypress mulch and spagnum moss will look very natural, and give you some ability to maintain humidity. Not to mention your snakes bathroom activities won't end up directly on the bottom of the cage, which can be a pain to clean and stain your cage floor.

Referring back to your OP: the "nice" term for mutts is intergrades. And no, there are no health issues associated with intergrades. In fact, if your purely looking for a pet, an intergrade isn't a bad option because it will be cheaper then a snake who has been bred true to its subspecies (crazy morphed out intergrades aside, those can be very pricey!) I just don't really care for them much. I could launch into a huge explanation of the pros and cons of intergrade breeding, but that is totally beyond the scope of your question lol.

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Every care sheet I have read has suggested newspaper for the substrate, so I figured slate tile would be fine since it is a lot more rough than other tile . I already have the slate, so that's where the idea came from. I think substrate makes the enclosure more attractive anyway. this is why I'm asking questions :) I know there is so much bad info on the internet. Oh, and I have decided not to get a coastal, but probably an irian jaya or bredlis.

I'll probably go with the CHE to keep the cost down. Maybe I'll upgrade later. and the heat mats are pretty inexpensive also. the hydrofarm thermostats look reasonable also.

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

got most of the enclosure built today. I went with sliding doors because I had a metal frame window that I bought at home depot a few months ago because the screen was torn and it was like $15. I knew I'd find a use for it.

It is all 3/4" plywood and 2x4's

The floor is going to be on top of the 2x4's and removable so I can clean it easily and also not worry about cutting a hole for the heat pad in the bottom of the enclosure. i'll just cut the hole in the removable floor.

I had the measurements wrong, it is 55" x 24" x 38" (LxWxH) (outer diameter)

Already have the first coat of poly inside. I am going to trim it out so it looks nicer on the outside, but it is pretty much finished. Not sure what color I'm going to paint it. Maybe I'll stain it, but i hate the process of staining wood.

1sjPpBw.jpg

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

ugh. so many choices. I wish there was a place I could go and handle every adult sub-species. I'm thinking the IJ's don't get as big as I'd like... maybe a male coastal... or a female jungle...we'll see. It'll probably be January before I can get the snake anyway.

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm thinking jungle carpet now.. The IJ don't get as big as i'd like, but coastals get too big... you think this is a big enclosure for an adult jcp?

12. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

anyone have any input on putting a Jungle Carpet in this enclosure?

13. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I think that any snake would be very happy to call that fantastic enclosure home.

14. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

got some more work done today. I'm still messing around with some things, but i'm in a bit more of a hurry than I thought. My wife ordered me a JCP for Christmas and it is going to be here on Tuesday.

Here is a pic of what I have done so far. I am going to add a good size shelf on the right side and cut a hole the shape of the water dish so it will sit down in it. it will also have a hide on the same shelf. I'm also going to get a lot more fake plants to hide the framing and probably some rocks on the bottom just for looks.

jY8eQGT.jpg

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

do yall's jcp spend more time on the ground or in the branches? Or on elevated shelves?