This Disappears When Logged In

Set Up Questions - First Time Snake Owner

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Brittney, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Brittney

Brittney New Member

Hi!
    I have a 2 1/2 year old ball python. I've had him for about 6 months now and he's been living in a 20 gallon long aquarium with a mesh top. I use overhead heating but I do have an undertank heater that I'll turn on when it's colder in my apartment and his tank isn't staying warm. But my big issue is with humidity. The mesh top doesn't do much for keeping humidity in and I'm not sure if I can use a regular glass aquarium top and switch to only undertank heating or if there's a better option. Advice appreciated!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can take a piece of plywood or plastic, cut to fit the screen top and attach it to the frame of the top.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sheet plastic could also be used. Plexiglass or anything really. Heck even saran wrap or aluminum foil can be used in a pinch. Just make holes wherever any fixtures you have need to go through. Also, if you don't have a thermostat for that undertank heater, please get one.

Brittney likes this.
  4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I have a "large" pond (my python is about 5' and can soak his entire body) and use dried coconut husk rehydrated to help maintain humidity. Both are on the same side of the tank (which is 36"x12"x18" with a screen top) and it stays at 75-80% humidity on that end, 45-50% on the other.

Attached Files: