This Disappears When Logged In

Seriously Bizarre Shed, Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Anthony14, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Okay this is a friends snake and i'm looking for any advice or opinions on this as i've never seen this before.

The snake just as it was going in to shed mode decided to soak a lot for 2-3 days and then apparently after shedding(which seemed like an early shed) the skin felt slimy, 1-2 days after this slimy shed her skin was all dried up and wrinkled. It is still like this 2 weeks later. I really want to know what's going on.

7jrJolK.jpg

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

More pics I received

11350248_1584816005112984_224432104_n.jpg 11119771_1584815991779652_388832168_n.jpg

3. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

How long ago was the snakes previous shed? I have Some snake experience but don't consider myself an expert by far. You're never done learning in this hobby. So I am throwing out an idea that could be far off but worth a shot since it is simple and a common routine thing. I was thinking maybe there might have been a retained shed beneath this one that collect some moisture from the soaking. So maybe the dead skin beneath felt slimy from being so wet. Then as it was exposed to fresh air dried out and became a rough outer layer. Like I said I have no knowledge of this type of issue as I have never heard of it before. I just came up with some ideas of my own to give you a place to start. So maybe a few good soaks with or without a shedding assist chemical could help remove some old dead skin.... If this is the case.
    Good luck.

4. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Yeah i've been trying to figure it out myself and your thought has crossed my mind as well, the biggest issue i'm having is I didn't witness this myself so I just have to go off my friends word. Hopefully more people can give me some advice as I always want to learn everything I can and i've never seen this.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That looks like some terrible stuck shed. I think you should call a vet for some help with that.

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Unfortunately it's not my snake or I would. Also i've seen pictures of this snake before it shed and it looked normal, this is what happened after it apparently shed.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

He looks dehydrated! I would soak him in room temp water for a bit. Give him a humid hide in his enclosure. Take a container ( like a sour cream or margarine tub), cut a hole that he can fit inside it and fill it with damp moss or damp paper towels. I am assuming he has a mesh lid on his tank? If you can cover most of it with something solid like plastic wrap, ply wood etc( not a towel as it will wick away most of the moisture) that will help keep the humidity inside his tank.