This Disappears When Logged In

Serious Questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by 09msstang, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

so recently i changed tanks for my baby boa due to the fact that the other one had another snake die in it and it was to small for her. so now i have a bunch of questions for problems and need some answers. my babys eyes have turned a kind of milky grey one day they looked normal then they went all crazy like. the tank i have is a regular 20 gal i used it for my ball python but upgraded him due to the fact that he has literally grown atleast 2 inches since i got him about 2-3 weeks ago. YES!!!! i fully sanitized it with hot water bleach and disinfectant. the tank over heated a few days ago and my little boa burrowed into the cool side in her water bowl i dont know how she did it but she got a bunch of moss in the water bowl and burrowed into it she didnt seem to show any signs of problems when i took her out but to be on the safe side i soaked her in room temp water room temp for my apartment being 72 or 73 degrees. after the tank over heated she the next day got the milky grey eyes: so now on to the questions i need answered:

1. could the grey milky eyes be from her getting close to shedding or should i take her to a herp vet?
    2. do they sell humidifiers for 20 gal tanks? i cant keep the humidity up i have to mist literally 20x a day
    3. shes still not eatting could this be due to possibly about to shed or should i give it another week?
    4. i have a 75 watt basking bulb and night time bulb for her tank should i change to a lower wattage so it doesnt dry out the tank so bad?
    5. and last me and my bf are going to be moving into a different apartment what would be the best way to transport her and my ball python?

any answers will help thanks everyone :)

2. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i forgot to mention that her skin has been really dry and wrinkly like due to the bulb drying things out what should i do to prevent this?

3. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I think your bulb may be an issue. What temps are you keeping her at, and what are you using to measure them? I know others will be in soon to offer advice, but the temps will be a big thing to know right away.

Also, if she herself is dry and wrinkly, that sounds like dehydration and can be deadly.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

1. And 3. Yes she's probably in shed and is why she's not eating. The others I'm not 100 % sure. 3. I think bigappleherps.com make heating things for moving. I've never tried them but I just put mine in rubbermaid tubs with small holes in it. But it was warm enough ffor a fast move.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Probably shedding coming on. This would also account for the dry wrinkly looking skin.
    Replace the screen top or cover the screen with something. With a screen top you are literally trying to humidify the entire room.

Most snakes do not eat in shed mode.
    You have to use what is appropriate to maintain the temps. Closing off the screen will not only contain the humidity but the heat as well so be careful
    If its just a short jaunt in warm weather, put them in knotted pillowcases, in a box.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Why don't you try an under the tank heat matt and plug it into a thermostat like the repti temp 500 r, this will ensure that your temps stay where you want them to. Also keep a moist hide on the hot side, a large shallow bowl of water and cover your top of the enclosure with a piece of wood made to fit.

7. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i try to keep her temp during the day around 80 and her night temp around 70-75 i have a digital hydrometer and thermometer and a dual one with the needles ive found the zilla ones dont work at all so ive switched all of my products to zoo med im so worried about her right now the most because of the over heat and they her eyes changing colors i dont know if it will help much but ive been trying to keep her humidity at 80-85 and i check on her a million times a day and feel her skin if she feels to dry to me i mist her with room temp water she seems to love it

8. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i use a damp towel on half the tank to keep the humidity in it seems to work really well with the night light but with the day oh man it heats up so fast thats what happened when the tank over heated

9. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i have one but it doesnt really keep the temps very warm in there i bought a bigger one since the one i have in there is kinda small and i do have a moist hide or atleast i try to keep it moist i have half a coconut shell in there with moist moss for her to hide in its where she spends all of her time ill take a picture of her tank so you can all see how i set it up all i know is im about to have a heart attack because im so new to this and dont want to fail i hate failing!!!!!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Under tank heat pads should take up 1/3 of the length of the enclosure. If you have a spare margarine tub you can make one that is totally enclosed.

Here is a caresheet;
    Care Sheet Brazilian Rainbow Boa

And here is how to make a moist hide;
    Cut a hole in the side or top
    P3240001.jpg
    Place moss inside
    P3240002.jpg
    put lid back on
    P3240003.jpg

11. Merlin

The damp towel routine really isn't the best choice. In the warmth the damp towel becomes a breeding ground for mold.
    And then the spores rain down on your snake.
    Close off the top and get you a good thermostat and it should take care of much of your issues.

12. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

ill have to try that what if she doesnt figure out how to get in there? shes a really smart snake obviously since she figured out how to get the moss in her water bowl an burrow into it

13. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i use a clean towel everyday i bought a bunch of regular white auto detailing towels for that specific purpose i change the towel every 12 hours i dont know if that will make a difference

14. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i also have a thermostat but i think im going to switch thermostats with my python because he has the digital one and is much much easier to maintain haha

15. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

another thing since i got my babies ive been seriously looking into becoming a herpetologist mainly because snakes and reptiles fascinate me more than cars yes cars are my other huge passion does anyone know where i should look to find herpetology courses?

16. Merlin

Not thermometer, thermostat. A thermostat will control your heating elements, turning them off and on as needed.

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Look at local colleges. I found classes in zoology, etc at my local university.

18. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Please use proper punctuation and capital letters. I can barely follow what you are trying to ask!

19. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

thats what i meant sorry i havnt been sleeping much due to stress with my snake and everything else inbetween