This Disappears When Logged In

Selling Snakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoeyG, May 19, 2014.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Well hello everyone, I've said I would sale but I just can't decide so maybe I won't. I have thousands invested literally and could make it back but I can't seem to decide how I would. How do you pick animals that have been hand picked?..... Will be going to 60+ hours soon but even neglected they a 're healthy and doing well.... unlike my poor dog who goes crazy when I get home. ( he hangs out with my little girl all day) so their relationship is awesome and I pity anyone who approaches her with me not around but they're ok. Snakes are ok and no babies so they can be on their own longer.. . Any thoughts or comments welcomed

2. JohnR

JohnR Member

Hey Joey,
    Not sure what all you have besides chondros, but if they are all adults, then they can go longer than you think without eating. How many do you have?

I would think that you could spend just 1 hour a week maintaining them, though I wouldn't go more than 1 week. By maintaining, I mean changing out water and cleaning out cages. Some people go the whole mile and use disinfectant and all that to clean...not me. I clean out the bottom of the cage if needed and change the water bowl. That's it.

As far as feeding, all it takes is prior planning. If you can have someone set out food items for you about an hour or two before you get home, then they should be thawed out. All you have to do is heat up water really hot and feed. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes depending on the amount of snakes.

What type of job do you have if you work 60+ hours? I couldn't do that...family and down time means a lot more to me than work.

If you have a large amount of snakes, especially the same kind, then maybe you should think of why you have that many? I did and for me, I realized that I needed to downsize. I'm not in this to have a bunch of babies...maybe once every 2 years would be nice to have a small clutch.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Well, just start with which ones you could live without and go from there. Maybe not sell all at once just a few at a time it'll be easier that way. Good Luck

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Also remember, though you may miss the interaction, your reptiles really don't. If you can take care of basic maintenance of what you have, then no need to get rid of anything. Otherwise, establish a "pecking order", if you will, of what animals are most important and the ones that are less so. Not easy, I know. If you find you can't maintain care or the level of interaction you want, get rid of a few at a time until your comfortable with what you have again.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah, snakes arnt like most big lizards (who can actually get attached to thier owners), they dont care who is caring for them as long as it is done.....

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Personally if I were you I would pick out the animals Ive had the longest, therefor the ones I have the most attachment to, and go from there. Id also look at selling males first. If things turn around for you want to restart your projects males are more replacable than females.

Also frankly, if I were you id look at eliminating the GTPs and sticking with your BPs. BPs are so hardy and easy to care for that, with the right set up, you could easily maintain all four of them in very little time like maybe 60 minutes a week at most.