This Disappears When Logged In

Selling Bugs at Expo??

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by aromatherapykim, Jan 29, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I'm interested in beefing up some colonies so I can be able to sell at this years expo (weekend of august 22nd). When I went to our local expo last year I noticed a big thing, there were no roaches and no super worms! Just crickets and mice. I feel that this would be a great opportunity to step in and bring more variety to this years expo.
    I currently have been working on starting breeding dubia and super worms. So I have a few questions.

Do you think I could beef up some colonies in time to sell at this years expo?
    Would you suggest just focusing on dubia and supers or are there other things you think I should start breeding?
    Would I need to create an LLC and DBA to sell at an expo?
    What are numbers that you think would be necessary to have to be well stocked for an expo? (from what I saw last year its not a huge expo)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Contact the expo to find out what you need to sell there, though I suspect it will amount to paying a fee for a table. As for quantities, all I can say is take as much asnyou can. Maybe a thousand of each size. You'll learn what you need to bring by doing a few shows and seeing what sells. Dont forget things like containers, a place to keep cash, lables and whatever else you'll want for marking prices and making a sign.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The shows around here have just recently started having people who are selling roaches. There have always been commercial cricket and mealworm vendors.
    All you will need to do to vend is buy a space. Although you may also have to have a sales tax permit for the state you are selling in. Some shows want to see them some don't.
    And think selling them in 100 lot containers. Usual price for mixed lots of dubias is 20-25 dollars a container. So if your booth space is say,...100 dollars you would need to sell 4-5 containers (4-500 roaches)to make your booth. And remember that you will also need ESCAPE PROOF containers so that adds on to the overhead. You will also need to have a salesmen mindset and be able to deal with people, some of whom will be obnoxious. If you re not outgoing and friendly, you aren't going to do any business.

You could also have some starter kits made up of roach food and water crystals.

4. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful!
    What size tub/container would be best for starter kits?
    Selling water crystals in 1oz sets would be best?
    I'd love to make my own roach chow for this, ingredient or recipe suggestions?