This Disappears When Logged In

Self-built tropical terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Well, here it is: nearly finished. Just waiting for the tracks to install the sliding glass doors.
    The terrarium part is 4 x 2 x 2.5ft, the outside is a bit bigger with shelves off to the left.
    I put in a window on the right side: just a small one to look into but not lose a lot of heat. It doesn't open.
    The whole thing will fit exactly where my "baby rack" was put, under the big glass tropical terrarium. See here: http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=2909

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Here it is with the linoleum lining (the branch was just placed in there for looks, now I've changed it a bit to fit the hide-boxes and pool) Oh, I also had hinges there, because I thought I'd have to make hinged doors... but I finally found tracking, so I changed that part.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Here it is looking from the right side:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. BlackJack

More pics

Here it is today: I painted a tropical scene on all the sides and also put in some fake plants and fixed the branch. The other hide-boxes and soil will come in later.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I might have to do some touch-ups when everything is all figured out, but I'm fairly pleased with it so far. It's the first time I've built an enclosure. The shelf on the left side will hold a Super Fog machine and I've already drilled holes for the hose and cables. The other shelf will be nice for cleaning supplies, etc.

3. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Wow! Nice work! =)

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

It looks great. Nice job.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Andrea,,,,fantastic job !!!

6. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

That looks really great!!
    Is it for Monty?

7. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm impressed!!! :D
    Too bad you don't live closer to me...I could put you to work on a viv for me :p LOL

8. BlackJack

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I learned A LOT on this one, so the next one I do will be even better/easier :D

No, it was supposed to be for Q when she came out of quarantine... :( unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.

When it's finished, Talyn will be moved into it. Martin is making other plans for her big glass terrarium........ :rolleyes: :confused:

9. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Andrea-I see an Emerald Tree Boa or a Green Tree Python in your future! ;) :D

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well you darn sure can't tell that from here! ;)
    It looks great Andrea!

11. BlackJack

Thanks Merlin :eek: I've built other pieces of furniture before... one thing I learned is to put EVERYTHING on wheels!
    For this terrarium, I lined the entire inside with linoleum flooring and siliconed all the corners and edges... so it is completely water-proof. It should hold the temperatures better as it is not so high and there is less glass. Talyn never uses the extra height in the glass terrarium, so I think she'll like it in this one. Strong lighting also makes her nervous, so she should feel better with the set-up here too.

Jem ..... someone's chatting-and-telling!!! ;) Or you are clairvoyant!! :)
    Yes, Martin is doing some SERIOUS research into Green Tree Pythons (Sorong variety). We'd like a young one, to watch the color transformation. This means we might have to wait until next season, but that's OK: we've found a reliable breeder here in Switzerland and we're willing to wait for one of his clutches. There's no big rush -- we need to do a lot of homework and also re-design the other terrarium first anyway...

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Well that cage is PERFECT for a GTP!! I can see it now..... ;) :D

13. BlackJack

Well, we're going to work on making it MORE perfect. I'll post pics of the changes as they happen.
    PS -- just to avoid confusion about the terrarium for a future GTP: we're not talking about the new "just built" one... we're talking about this one:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    :D
    The new "just built" one will fit perfectly underneath, in place of this shelf-unit.

14. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Andrea, try www.boapython.ch ! This guy is an excellent snake breeder and he knows a lot about them! He's my ball python breeder.
    He lives in Laufen,BL.

15. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Wow... you did a great Job! I can definetley see a Green Tree Python loving life in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.