This Disappears When Logged In

Self-ballasted

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by RES/AnoleLover89, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

what exactly is the difference between self-ballasted and external ballasted lights? what does ballasted mean?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am answering the second part of your question first because it will help make sense of the other question.

A ballast is what is used to power and maintain the electrical current/power to the light. All gas discharge lights require them. Mercury vapors, which I am guessing is where this question stems from, contain gasses and a special coating on the inside of the glass. The ballast keeps the current flow consistent so the light doesn't die on us. lol You have seen ballasts used many times. They are used with every flourescent light you have seen.

A self-ballasted light has the ballast built into the light itself. Most self-ballasted lights can produce heat in addition to light. I am not 100% certain, but I think self-ballasted lights use an electromagnetic ballast.

External ballast lights are more intricate than the self ballasts. They have a power source that the light typically plugs into. The external ballast that Reptile UV produces doesn't output heat. Since that is the only external ballast light I have encountered, I am guessing that is the reasoning for it not producing heat. The circuitry inside is more complex than the self ballast, allowing for high output, but maintaining cooler bulb temps.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

3. RES/AnoleLover89

thanks, so that means the bar uv that i have over my anole tank is external ballast?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you mean a fluorescent? If so the ballast is in the hood itself.
    Unless its one of the really old fixtures that has the ballast in line in the power cord

5. RES/AnoleLover89

yeah, a fluorescent that goes in one of the fish tank fixtures. are you stalking me around the forums merlin? hehe

6. Merlin

Muhwawawawawwawaww!
    I am every where!

sorta;)

7. Merlin

If so the ballast is in the hood itself.
    Unless its one of the really old fixtures that has the ballast in line in the power cord

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.