This Disappears When Logged In

Seen Many Of These Around. Please Help Id

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Rodrigueza37, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Rodrigueza37

Rodrigueza37 New Member

I just moved into a home in northwestern New Jersey. I've seen a couple of these guys around. One even gel from my gutter. Last night, one fell from my screen door as I opened it and fell into the house. It startled us all so much that my dog got to it before I could throw it out. I've seen a couple and I need to know what is. Please help if you can! My family is pretty rattled. They're bigger than the garter snakes were used to seeing.

Attached Files:

2. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

Aww poor baby snake! :(
    Corn Snake?

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is a harmless cornsnake.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Very harmless and beneficial for you, since they will eat whatever pests you have in/around your home.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

What the others said.
    Fortunately you are from the northeast which is relatively low in venomous snakes, so it really irks me when people around here kill snakes thinking they're venomous. (We don't even have any venomous here)
    The only snakes you'll want to keep a good distance from are these:
    PXS6MGz.png (found near water)
    and these:
    lpVWY6j.png (It has a rattle, you should hear it)

Everything else is totally harmless and nothing but beneficial.

6. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

Yeah. I live in the northeastern part of Pa. Those 2 snakes are the only things you have to look out for. Everything else is simply harmless and ultimately keeping your rodent population under control. The rodents are the real pests.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually that top photo is a copperhead and water has nothing to do with it. They are found in forests and woodlands. Even in town.

8. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Merlin, are copperheads venomous? How far up do they live?

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Yes they are and can range up to southern ohio and the like and a touch higher on the east coast.

10. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Love to see one but its great to not have to look out for them either. I live in Massachusetts.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

They are frequently found in our area and often, people confuse corn snakes with copperheads. Sadly, as a result...many corn snakes get dead around where I live.