This Disappears When Logged In

Seeking Lizard Help

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by sweety314, Sep 7, 2011.

1. sweety314

sweety314 Member

Hi,

Got a call this afternoon from a guy in Utah. < I live in Oregon. > I'm trying to network with ppl familiar with the desert lizards there. I don't know what area of UT he lives in, or where he caught the lizard, but I'm trying to get more information for him for its care. He wants to keep it for a pet, and seems eager to do what is necessary to keep it healthy and happy, but I'm afraid that if he goes to the pet store w/o any addtnl information, they'll sell him **** he doesn't need, or things that he'll have to upgrade to get correct.

I've posted on blah, blah.com's site, but they're mostly a "members only" board and a P.O. box for their physical info. That's not gonna help me.

Anyone HERE from Utah that I can put him in touch with??? I'm only in contact with him via phone right now. But ANY help is appreciated.

I DID mention that he really needs to find out if the little guy might be illegal in captivity, UVA/B light and probably will need to dust the baby crickets with Ca before feeding. That's only my knowledge from leopard geckos, and the extent of my amphibian help. < I'm a snake rescue, not lizards....... >

Thanks a bunch!!!

R.

2. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I was born and raised in Utah, and know a few of the native species. There are a few species that are illegal to have there. My advice is see if he can pic message you a photo of what he has, Then post it on here, more people could look at it and help determine what he has so he can get the advise he needs to care for it properly. Here is a good website you can tell him about that maybe he could find out what he has himself as well.
    Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
    Depending on where it was found it could have a desert like setup or one with more humidity, If he got it in the northern half of the state.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off you have to determine exactly WHAT species of lizard you are talking about.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, you need to figure out what he has first!!!

I wish people would stop collecting wild animals and just let them go.

5. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Not to mention, what's he going to be doing with it until he gets the right husbandry info? Which could take a while...

Just tell him to let it go. :)