This Disappears When Logged In

Sealing Wooden Habitats

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jnunez8483, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Jnunez8483

Jnunez8483 Member

Polyurethane with enough coats can waterproof wood. But not too sure if it's safe. Of course I'll have substrate covering the bottom, but I'm not sure if chemicals will be released when wet. What about Thompsan's waterproof deck seal?
    Any ideas?

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I used dry lock. It works like a charm, it took several coats though.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thompsons is useless for cages. It takes forever to stop being tacky and off gassing. Polyurethane will take a long time to cure out as well. Most use Minwax Polycrylic. Its a water based poly as opposed to the oil based.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Do not use the Thompson's or any similar products, they don't actually cure out the way a normal finish does. Polyurethane does work well, but as stated take a very long time to cure to the odor free state. Last cage I did with it took over 2 months before I could close it up and not have the odor, but that was partially because I did it outside in the fall then moved it to my rather cool basement to finish curing. I usually use polycrylic above the substrate level and have good luck using fiberglass resin below. Only downside with the resin is it will crack if flexed very much, found that out when I moved a cage with the dirt still in it because I didn't want to dig up the live plants.

5. Jnunez8483

Jnunez8483 Member

Just my luck. Stained my cabinet a red mahogany color. Minwax advises against using on red mahogany. :(

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That is a bit of a surprise, I thought all minwax stains were compatible with all their clear coats. Or do they mean the actual species of wood when they say that?

7. Jnunez8483

Jnunez8483 Member

They advise against using on red mahogany stain. I'm gonna have to go with polyurethane, give it enough coats and let it sit outside to air out