This Disappears When Logged In

Sealing a Tree Branch

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by jabberwocky, Aug 16, 2011.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

in the iguana cage i'm working on i want a large log in it about 6ft long and 6-8 inches thick. i've heard about just using bleach solution to get it as clean as i can but i'm still not sure. then i thought: "what if i put a layer of drylok on it?" hopefully this would also make it easier to clean. im sure it would be ok since the stuff is already going to be all over the enclosure, i just find its better for me to bounce my ideas off people before i do them. any thoughts? would this help prevent any parasites, mites, or diseases from getting to jabbers?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't seal my branches, just a good washing.

3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

and you've never had problems with stuff hiding deep inside the branch coming out?

4. Merlin

Occassionally you may have some borers emerge that are inside the wood but they are harmless. And sealing the wood won't make any difference to them since they chew their way out of the wood.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have smaller branches, but I have never had a problem either.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Give them a good look over, carve out any notches if you can't see and as Merlin said give it a good wash. You're talking about an Iguana here, it can handle some small bugs. Which really is inconsequential as parasites and what not are species specific. Anything living in the wood eats wood, not reptiles.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

He makes a good point... the odds of you finding a log in MO that has parasites that could attack an iguana are pretty slim. I am totally paranoid when it comes to taking things from the wild to put in an enclosure though, so I would at least give it a good long soak in some bleachwater. for something that thick I would let it soak for like a day. For good measure you could also seal it, and it would help with cleaning..

8. Merlin

Any parasites would be on the outside of the wood. They do not burrow into it. So soaking it really doesn't accomplish anything.

9. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Does it have bark on it?

I've found that bark makes a great places for spiders and such to hide in.

Doubt your ig would have an issue with them, but they bug the you know what out of me! lol

If so, peel the bark off and scrub it down :)

Make sure you rinse it real good, too. I'm always paranoid that a bleach soaked branch would fume under the heat lights!

Sealing it may be a good idea for a humid tank, because sometimes the branches develop mildew underneath if they get damp enough, and the spoors can cause lung problems.