This Disappears When Logged In

Sealing a 15 high tank

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by CMKoehler, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Hello,

Humidity is really crazy in my 15 H tank. When the heater is on during the day it's around 45-60% depending on whether I have misted it recently. At night it goes up to 80-100%. Is that normal?
    I read to seal up the tank enough to not let any moisture out (have a screen top), but will that be okay regarding air circulation/fresh air?

Another note on the tank, it has two openings on the side about half way up that may be problematic, too.

Thanks!

Christoph

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would suggest covering one or the other of the screens. you may even need to cover both, or at least the side vents and most of the screen. What are you keeping and what kind of heater? (i am sure that you have said in other posts but its been a long day in a peds transport class, so my brain is a bit fried...) If there is no heater to make the humidity evaporate then it will sometimes get more humid... which is a good thing since humid air feels warmer than not humid...

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

shell is right, your humidity is going right out the top. Cover any part of the top screen. Leave the side vents open for now. If it helped but not enough, then cover up some of the side too.

4. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Thanks for the tips guys! It's for a Tokay, the heater is just a 75W basking light that I have on a 12h on 12h off schedule. It creates a temp gradient of ~88F-72F.
    I have the coconut bedding across the tank that's supposed to retain a lot of water (and it looks very moist) and some moss on just one half.
    I will cover up the top with aluminium foil for now and maybe plexiglass eventually.

5. schlegelbagel

i cover mine with plastic bags when I can't find any plexi. Cheap fix. :)

6. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

I'd be scared it would melt with my heat lamp on there :) It definitely helped a bit, but plexi will look a little better and allow me to still see in there from the top.
    I just got my Tokay two days ago and he just ate his first cricket already :) Way cool!

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's normal for the humidity to go up at night when the temperature drops. (Something to do with Physics.)
    I would not cover the side vents, it's good for air circulation. Just cover part of the top.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post a pic of the tank?
    If I understand you correctly the top is screen with two air vents in the sides? If so the warm air, which rises, is carrying your humidity right out of the tank into the room! When the light is off there is not the updrafted of heated air so the moisture stays in the tank.
    I would make a plexiglass sheet that covered half of the top of the tank with a square of wood covering the other half with an opening for the heat light.

9. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Yeah you got it right. Why only cover half with plexigless and not all of it, and cut a hole in it?

10. schlegelbagel

half with plexi and half with wood. Can't cut a hole in plexi like you can in wood. Plexi will retain more moisture than wood, so its the best of both worlds.

11. Merlin

Plus plexi can get too hot and melt. When it melts it can give off toxic fumes.

12. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Where do y'all get plexi glass?

Home Depot or the like? I know they don't have it at Ace cuz I looked........................*sigh*

13. Merlin

Home Depot and Lowes will have it. Check in the window sections.

14. schlegelbagel

my home depot has a horrible selection of plexi, but Lowes has lots to choose from.

15. Merlin

Or you can check out a glass shop.

16. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

And the wood doesn't catch on fire or anything? :)

17. Merlin

That wood would have to get really hot to catch fire. With a circle cut out of it to surround the dome and no contact with the light there shouldn't be a problem. Plexi will melt at much lower temps than what wood would need to combust.

18. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Thank you for the plexiglass tips :)

Andrea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.