This Disappears When Logged In

Scrub Python - Morelia kinghorni

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by deviousevie, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deviousevie

deviousevie Member

Just thought i would share some pics of this little guy (or girl) :D

I have been wanting to buy a Scrub Python for ages but haven't really had the space but now we have moved i knew it was time to get one :D

Picked this little one up on the weekend. Although he/she is only little now.... it won't stay that way for long that's for sure :D

He/she hasn't been sexed yet but will be Evie if it's a girl or Elvis if it's a boy.

Hope you enjoy the pics :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Evie

2. deviousevie

deviousevie Member

oops... sorry meant to put this in general pythons :(

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Its ok, still a beautiful snake. :)

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous little python, I can't wait til (s)he gets bigger!

5. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

How big do scrubs get? They are great none the less.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Very pretty Evie. :)

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Haha, scrubs are another of my favorite python species. Definately a favorite among the larger pythons (aside from rock pythons). Last I checked, scrub pythons (amethestine pythons) encompassed Morelia amethistina amethistina and Morelia amethistina kinghorni. But after seeing your thread I looked into it, and sure enough, M. a. kinghorni has been granted it's own species. So as far as common names go, M. kinghorni is the new official scrub python and M. amethistina is the amethistine python.

On top of that, the study that brought about the revision of the Morelia ametistina ssp. in the year 2000 discovered three new species, which formerly fell into the two previous subspecies. Morelia clastolepis (Mollucan python), Morelia nauta (Tanimbar dwarf python), and Morelia tracyae (Halmahera python) are all former Morelia ametistina. Very cool :D lol, thanks for being the catalyst to some intriguing research ;) God I'm a nerd.

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Beautiful snake, and Matt we are all nerds at heart.

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Beautiful python! Matt- I find the info you provide us with to be very interesting and if you we'rnt a nerd I cant say Id love you as much as I do!

10. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Very cool looking snake! Nice pattern!

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha mat...you nerd!

but latley(the past few years) there have been plenty taxonomic changes in the reptile world...which is a good thing. I would say in the last ten years herpetological studies have undergone a renaissance. My personal view is that 90% of all sub-species should all be revised and undergo changes to full individual species recognition. Especially here in South Africa for instance... where reptile diversity is so large, almost all species have sub-species and i have come across two different sub-species in the same locality...this should mean they are two different species(sub-species will naturally interbreed if they are true sub species meaning there will only be or should be one sub-species in a particular location)

sub-species are just a temporary means of taxonomic classification if you ask me.... it really makes life difficult! Changes happening all the time...but the end result will mean a more stable taxonomy.... i hope! lol

12. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

very pretty. thanks for sharing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.