This Disappears When Logged In

Scratched by rat!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Ajleal, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Hey I left a rat in my snakes tank last nite and when I woke up I got the snake and it had alot of scratches on its back do you think that when it sheds it will go back to normal

2. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

im talkin about a two month old ball python who was scrathed alot by a rat.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Depends how deep. What size rat was it? I don't see a two month old python handling rats, maybe a pup or smaller but I don't see one that can barely move doing any damage. Live feeding should never be unsupervised.

4. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Yea I kno im supposed to supervise it but my big brother put it in their over night I didnt kno I was asleep and it was a white mice. The scratches arent deep it just looks scratched alot.

5. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Its because it hasnt eatin in three weeks. Ive had it for about a month and a half and when I first got it it ate two mice and the following week it ate one mice its been three weeks since that last meal and I dont kno what to do. Now this that the snake has been scratched its alot of stress for me.
    When I try feeding it dead mice or live it just turns away wont even pay attention to it any suggestions to what I can do?

6. justor

justor Elite Member

The snake is likely as stressed as you are. Especially now that it's been attacked. It's probably best to lay off the feeding attempts for a couple more weeks to let him heal and chill out.

7. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

How long can it go without eatin cuz it has been three weeks goin on four this comin tuesday and its only approx. Two months old.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

I'm not really the best person to answer that... I know that healthy ball pythons can go months without eating, but I'm not sure about a snake that's only taken a few meals since hatching.

Being too aggressive with your feeding attempts though will only make it refuse food longer.

9. JoeyG

I know that your little guy not eating can be stressful (i've been there) but snakes can go longer then you think not eating. It's not ideal when young but it'll be okay. The best things you can do for it now is to make sure you have the right temperatures and humidity for day and night, adequate hiding places, and just leave him alone. Don't handle him and only open his enclosure for basic husbandry. Snakes are very resilient and if they're just minor scratches it should be fine. More then likely just stressed out.

I would also see if there is a way you can put a lock on the enclosure to insure that no one but the resposible care taker opens the enclosure. Good luck and if you can post pics of the enclosure and the scratches it would help, that way someone with more experience can also better asses the scratches and home.

10. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Alright thanks for the info but what about the scratches think it'll heal because they aint deep its just scratched alot.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Why don't you give us a rundown of how you are keeping him, what are the basking temps and what are you using to measure these temperatures!
    Also a photo of your setup will help, a picture says a thousand words!

12. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

I really dont kno how to post piks im new to this and im using a thermometer. Im a newbie to snakes this is my first snake so im still tryin to get the humidity thermostat .

13. JoeyG

can you give an accurate discription of how you're housing the snake and atleast your temperature. Any hiding spot, under tank heaters, heat lamps, what you're using on the bottom for bedding? When you post a reply if you scroll further down you'll see where it says "manage attachments". Click on it and you can the select pics of your computer and upload. The more info you post about housing the more people can help.

14. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Temps. Are from 85 to 90 durin day and I have two hidin spots I also have a heatin lamp. I have aspen snake bedding and im usin my phone not computer.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You keep calling them scratches but I would suspect its more likely that they are bites from the mouse. There would be no reason for the mouse to scratch it.
    Put some neosporin ointment on them. The one WITHOUT pain killers. Keep the cage clean and keep an eye on the wounds for any signs of infection.

16. Ajleal

Ajleal Member

Alrright thanks