This Disappears When Logged In

Scorp & Tarantula..

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Gevaudan, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

Hey guys, I have a black emperor Scorpion, he has no name... dunno why. im pretty sure hes male... hes very large and looks manly. ha ha. my b/f had one before and knows the care.. i honestly couldnt be bothered, hes a VERY grouchy guy. trys to pinch at everything!
    Me, myself prefer spiders, always have, dunno why. so I bought a Zebra tarantula... now i know spiders and Tarantulas are ALOT different. and i am still unsure if its male or female.. i say female all the time. i named it Webley (like on Bobbys world. lol im a nerd)

Jo
    No pics yet.. soon enough i hope

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Sounds great!!

How old/big is your zebra? - males and females are usually distinctly different from each other.. maybe we can help you sex it. Hoping for a female since they live much longer!! - the female of the species is better than the male,. hmm rings true for humans too don't you think? :D

3. venus

venus Founding Member

We have a black emporer scorpion also, my son name him Sting..orginial right? I think is a male also, very manly pinchers. lol

Strike one up for Rach..I have to agree in many areas. Girl Power...(i think we better run) :D

4. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

well, im not sure how big it is, after it shed the exoskelleton it has been VERY grouchy and not let anyone near it... u stick your hand in the cage, it goes into striking mode.. Scary. Although it does have wonderful blue leg stripes... If that helps..
    i am actually going to go run and get a pic or two of them now, and upload them in a bit... maybe you can help be the judge if its male or female...
    and Marsha, is it? That is quite the original name fer the scorpion. ha ha. I would name him "Stupid crabby face" if it was mine haha, hes VERY grouchy. oh wait, i said that already...oh wells

Jo

5. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

heres my tarantula and scorpion...

Attached Files:

6. Bitis Gabonica

Beautiful T! It looks like a mature spider? I would say it is female from that pic,. big abdomen, chunky legs, no bulbs on its pedipalps yet, very pretty.. males have much smaller abdomens, thinner legs, and after their final molt (around the age of 1yr) they stop eating and die by the age of 2yrs! They also get the bulb on their pedipalps after their final molt, and gain their mating hooks.

Nice pics! :)

7. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

Thanks :) that could be a good thing then?! the people at the pet store i got her from are completely retarded, they were afraid of it... and they said they knew nothing, and thought it was male... they said it was young when i got it, about.... 4 or 5 months ago... and it molted once since i got it...

8. Bitis Gabonica

Well, if it has only molted once in your care, in 4 or 5 months, I would say that it is an older T,. young Ts will molt quite regularly. She certainly looks quite mature.. how big is she roughly in legspan? I am almost positive that it is a female. Which is a good thing yeah!! - if you want a T that will live a while! Female tarantulas can live up to 20yrs + and on the whole are more impressive in appearance.. take the cobalt blue for example - the male remains brown/black and is much smaller, the female grows to be a brilliant black, and when in the right light demonstrates stunning blue colouration! :)

9. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

oh neat! ive never seen a Cobalt blue t before... (i live in cobalt... we dont have BLUE tarantulas... well, we have no tarantulas at all really lol),
    i'd guess shes about 7 inches in length... Just a guess tho...

Do tarantulas eat their x-os??? (this may be a stupid question but im curious).
    Jo

10. Bitis Gabonica

She is definately mature, or at least almost there, judging by the size, and i'm even more certain that she is a she! :p

Ts can eat their exoskeletons. They don't always,. sometimes they will disregard them, ready for you to take out of their enclosures, and occasionally they can eat them. I think our male T used to eat his, as we usually never found them! I have attached a couple of pics.. one if of our male cobalt blue, the other is of a female cobalt, courtesy of http://www.bighairyspiders.com ..I love Incy, but oh how i wish he was female! :p

Just to note, when a T has molted you should wait at least a week before feeding again, to give them chance for their exos to harden up again. Sorry if I am preaching to the knowledgable, just pointing it out for everyone! :)

Attached Files:

11. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

wow. they are ever pretty blue colored... yours is kinda scary looking.. lol. something outta 8Legged Freaks or somethin ha ha. no, im jokin, hes a nice lookin boy... and i will keep that info in mind for next time.. Oh by the way, do uhave MSN or anything? mebby we can chat on it, since we are both on line... ??? i am at ilove_tonyhawk@hotmail.com
    Jo

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Tarantulas ARE spiders ;)

lol, anyway, I'd say you've got a female on your hands there. As Rachel said, if it were male it would probably be a lot thinner. Looks like you've got a Costa Rican zebra. Same species, but the ones from Costa Rica are more that bluish-black color. Ones from Nicaragua are more brownish. I personally have a female Chilean rose-hair and a female Nicaraguan zebra.

Asw for the scorp, I'd say female there too. Like the T, female emperor scorions are bigger and fuller than the males. The way you described yours makes it seem female. Now I can't remember if this is also true, but I think that only the males have combs on their bellies. Its either both es, or just the males, I can't remember for sure. Well, if you ever get a good look at the underside of your scorp, if you see a pair of little brownish "wings" with combed or feathered edges, that's what I'm talking about. If you don't see them, then your scorp is definately female.

13. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

Our Scorp does have two little wing things on its under side... we notice this when he tries to climb the glass. are those his "male parts" lol
    Thanks for distingushing the type of tarantula i have. it makes it easier for me to look up. as i said, the pet store was retarded when comes to tarantulas...

14. venus

venus Founding Member

OMG Rach, he is georgeous. Cobalt is my absolute favorite color...next to pink, I have got to get one of those. It would look perfect in my kitchen lol :D

15. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Rachels a good judge when it comes to sexing spiders and things, she sexes all of mine for me, when she visits, i just love her and Joes visits we have a real good time talking herps and spiders, cant wait till the next visit, it's my turn to visit you again hey Rach, on friday, cant wait :D

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I believe the combs are for feeling ground vibrations, but I can't remember if that's true or not. I don't believe they're his party pieces though. I'm still not entirely certain if its just the males that have them, or both males and females. lol, been a while since I did any research on scorpions.

17. Bitis Gabonica

[QUOTE-furryscaly]Tarantulas ARE spiders [/QUOTE] Well, technically they are not ;) Both spiders and tarantulas are arachnids,. spiders' fangs move in a horizontal motion, and are able to touch each other like scissors,. tarantalas' fangs move in a vertical motion.

Thanks Marsha! Although I think you may be complimenting the female cobalt, which is sadly not ours :p The brown male is ours. They are beautiful though.. hmm Ts to match our house decor,. i like your thinking! :D

Donna - thank you! You say such sweet things! Looking forward to you coming again, and can't wait to get to yours and see your new herps!! Maybe I can even work up the courage to hold your chilean!! :p

18. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awwww, yes, she's so timid, the only thing is you will want to get one sooner than later if you hold her lol, they are so irresistable, :D she will just get you wanting and wanting lol :D

19. Bitis Gabonica

Haha too late! I already want one!! Some day soon! :p I want Gevaudan's T too!! :D

20. Gevaudan

Gevaudan Elite Member

U want my tarantula??come get her! LOL
    i can part with her, she escapes on me ALL the time, then gets REALLY grouchy when i try to put her back in her tank... She just flips out! like, i wanna cry when she gets out! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.