This Disappears When Logged In

Scientists unlock potential of frog skin to treat cancer

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Scientists have discovered proteins in frog skins which could be used to treat cancer, diabetes, stroke and transplant patients by regulating the growth of blood vessels.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Scientists unlock potential of frog skin to treat cancer?

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

My only thought on this is: I hope they are able to do this kind of research and make it productive without harming the frogs.

3. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

It would be good if they found a way to replicate the substance synthetically so that they didn't have to use millions of frogs to treat people!

4. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I don't think todays laws would allow them to make the medicine at the expense of frogs...at least not in the USA

5. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

It said in the article they capture the frogs and gently extact the secretions before releasing them back into the wild. Which to me means very few, if any would be harmed.

6. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

My grandma died of cancer and my grandpa had diabetes but died from strokes. So I can't say I'd want them to stop researching, especially since the frogs are released back to where they belong unharmed- at least according to the article. I also like the idea of looking for natural cures, since I don't like medicines and all their side effects (which seem to be worse than the actual condition they're meant to treat). If they can successfully harness these proteins in a way to treat these conditions without harming frog nor human, then I'm all for it.

7. salamam

salamam New Member

Mos frogs belongs to endangered species, I don't think that the government would allow scientists to kill thousands of frogs for this purpose.
    I did some research for further information and I came across an BBC article, where they say, that over 70 major diseases could be healed with the proteins. That's quite a big figure...

8. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

If it's as good as it sounds, it sounds like a good deal to me. I'm interested to see if it leads anywhere.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope that it does prove itself! Sounds like it would treat a lot of illnesses!

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Usually they try to re-create that protein in the lab. Here's hoping it works!

11. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

The pharmaceutical companies will probably lobby (or back somebody else lobbying) to restrict the use of the protein from the frogs. Then they'd make it in a lab synthetically. That's sort of the same thing they're trying to do with cannabis. They're trying to sell it in pill form so they can make a profit. They can get pretty greedy.

Edit: but then again, I don't know how I feel about them catching and releasing millions of frogs from the wild to treat all the people in the US that would need it. No clue how that would affect the frogs or the environment.