This Disappears When Logged In

Scardy Boa?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Microscope Jockey, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I think Boyd, my big male boa, is afraid of people or at least very shy. I have come to this conclusion because: he was never handled much before I adopted him because he is LARGE, he hates to be caught and sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to grab him if I don't have assistance (Before somebody goes off on the small-people-should-not-handle-large-snakes rant: :mad: I'm not bugging him, I only do this when I HAVE to clean his cage), sometimes he hides his head like a ball python :rolleyes: , lately if he's on his basking spot and I uncover his cage he'll go hide in his box in a few minutes like he feels exposed or something, sometimes he'll burrow in the newspapers instead of hiding in his box, and occaisonally when I'm holding him he will try to hide IN my shirt (he's 7' long!). The funny thing is that if he's being handled he usually calms right down and is a lovely snake and you can even touch his head. Is it common for such a large adult animal to be skittish like that or is it just his personality? What do you all think?

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

My bigger snakes seem content to be in their hides, Taking Carmella out can be an adventure, she grabs hold of everything. Putting her back is even harder though, once she's out she never wants to go back in.

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Oh when I say I'm trying to grab him that means he was not in the hide and saw me coming and we had a rodeo. If he's in his hide I just pick the whole thing up with him in it, much easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.