This Disappears When Logged In

Scaleless Rat Snakes

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Murder Serpent, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

A lack of scales is one of the most unusual aberrancies.
    Scaleless texas rat snake:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scaleless yellow rat snake (poor pix from a book I own)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone else have pictures or even own one?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I have never even heard of a scaleless snake! That's so interesting! :)

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Ive never seen anything like that before thanks for sharing:)

5. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I have heard of them and I saw one in a glass jar that died as a baby, but I would assume that they do not fare well in the wild. It is an interesting foible.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

their skin is very fragile and some believe this "morph" is very cruel on the snake. As long as they are kept on newspaper and fed dead prey items they should be fine tohugh. Snakes don't require uvb lighting so the skin would be ok...lizards on the otherhand...they would get cooooooked!!! or just suplemented a correct balance of D3 and calcium...blahdy blah blah

cool looking snake though! seen those pictures before though, did you take them? also i know of someone here in south africa that has a scaleless puff adder..also has crazy skin patterns

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've seen a few of them. They are indeed rare and would not fare well in the wild. As mentioned, they also need a habitat devoid of anything that could harm their fragile skin.

Here's a rattlesnake that's only partially scaled:
    http://www.australianaddiction.com/Spain_ScalelessRattler.jpg

And a scaleless puff adder:
    http://www.gherp.com/kingsnake/scientific/venomous/Bitis arietans.scaleless.3.jpg

I imagine they'd have trouble moving if they're 100% scaleless, which would include the belly scales they need for "walking". Personally I'm not sure how I feel about scaleless snakes. If under the proper care, I guess I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but I don't like to see the snakes exploited for some extra $$.

8. CrotalusCo

CrotalusCo Member

there is also a scaleless diamondback rattlesnake. These snakes would not survive in the wild as neither would most morphs. They do however do ok in captivity Brian at BHB is breeding many forms of scaleless and even has a few secret projects

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.