This Disappears When Logged In

Scale Marks On Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Ellen, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Hello!
    I have a buttercorn snake, he is 3 years old (I believe) and I adopted him a few months ago from a rescue centre. He's a little shy and nervous, but hes getting better with each day.

Cornelius is his name. He sheds, eats and poops like a normal snake should and hes at the healthy weight and size.

However, after his most recent shed I noticed two strange marks on his snout (refer to the picture) and I'm a little worried about what it is and how he got it...
    He doesn't appear to be ill or acting strangely, and he is in fact acting normally!

Should I go to the vet or should I wait until his next shed?

Thanks

Heres the picture: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, are you referring to the brown mark on the front left of the snout, if yes does it look/feel as if there`s an injury? Maybe if you crop the pic and zoom right in it will be a little clearer.

3. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Obviously he won't be happy if I tried touching his snout. I'm not sure what it is... I dont know how he could've gotten injured...

4. Ellen

Ellen New Member

5. Ellen

Ellen New Member

I just had a feel of his snout, and it feels fine. It doesnt feel like an injury, and he doesn't seem to mind when I touch it so it can't be painful.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Just to be on the safe side you can gently dab the area with a diluted iodine solution, ten parts water to one part iodine, do that once per day for the next few days (do not rinse off). It is possible the snake might have rubbed the snout on something, bruising it.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Could be a bruise or the result of a feeder bite. Just keep an eye on it and see that no infection sets in. It should go away in a shed or two

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

could also be mild snout rub. My bet is that over the next shed (or two) you will see it reduced or eliminated.