This Disappears When Logged In

Sb3264 - Illinois Ban

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rob, Feb 5, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Signed the petition and sent the letters, and I became an official member of USARK today. :)

Thanks for spreading the word Rich! :)

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

oops and I just got an email that says the email addresses provided filtered out my message as spam!

3. acidlizard

acidlizard Banned User

I love my reptiles, and i'll prolly be deeply saddened and depressed if I know that i could never own another nile (or any monitor), but i do believe this bill is a good thing, i personally believe this might relieve some of the importation of wild-caught specimens which i am strongly against. If we truly love our reptiles, then we should leave them where they are the happiest, in the wild. Yeah a ban on "dangerous" is very stupid, and I dont see what's wrong with a responsible someone owning a CAPTIVE BRED animal of any kind, just as long as they do everything within their power to make sure the animal is happy and the right husbandry is achieved. Instead of a ban on animals like these, there should be a ban on wild caught animals.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You believe this bill is a good thing? Have you taken the time to READ the bill? There is NO distinction between wild caught or captive bred. This ban IS NOT a "good" thing. Some of the posts I have read lately are making it harder and harder for me to maintain my composure. The ignorance lately is profound!

5. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

No spaces and mine get sent right back

6. Rich

Did it come with an error message?

7. Rich

It appears that they removed the MX records for those email addies. I am guessing that was done to prevent all the email coming in or perhaps the addies aren't accurate. I am waiting for updated email addies.

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ok keep me updated Rich. I may not have any snakes but I plan on getting one this year so I want to do all I can to help! This effects all pet owners because once they are done with these animals whos to say they wont move onto yours next. EVERYONE needs to do their part if not for you then do it for the others out there with reptiles!

9. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

I live in Canada but I signed

10. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thank you Brady! We must all work together on this :)

11. Rob

Rob Elite Member

This is not from me its a different rob

Rob Carmichael(Curator of the Wildlife Discovery Center)
    WDC - Current events

12. tatwolf666

tatwolf666 New Member

Not only is this an unfair shake, but this ban could open up a whole new world of problems. Has anyone considered the possibility that this proposed ban could end up contributing more to the black market. It exists everywhere, I understand that, but adding to it is not a solution. Most of us BP owners are responsible people who keep their reptiles safe from harm, and from harming others, in locked enclosures. I myself have 2 BP's and a three year old child and they never come in contact with one another because I am not an idiot! Black markets have horrible conditions and would contribute to more cross-species diseases than a pet store that was unkempt. Not to mention a new availability of the variety of truly dangerous exotics (komodo dragons anyone?) that would be introduced to people who never would have sought out black market vendors if this ban goes through. Maybe they should consider this country's history in obtaining illegal things. Here in IL, Al Capone brought illegal alcohol to the masses, Marijuana is available on many street corners and homes, look at history. Everything we are told we cannot have is available locally, and when we lose a freedom, we tend to take matters into our own hands and that can be truly dangerous.