This Disappears When Logged In

Sb3264 - Illinois Ban

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rob, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Elite Member

This will destroy the reptile community in IL and lay the ground work for it to happen in other states. It will ban ALL pythons, boas, monitors, anything venomous(including insects), and much more. They can also add to the list anything they deem dangerous. I really hope this doesn't goes through.

I'm going to find out what are plan of action is and i hope you guys here can help out. If its gets passed here you can bet it will be coming to your state soon.

SB3264 97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ill do what i can buddy!

3. Rob

Rob Elite Member

I have been told that usark is working on the plan. As soon i hear from them ill post a copy of the email here.

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

This totally blows.

5. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Its a big game of follow the leader, just one after another :(

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

United we stand, divided we fall...

7. Rob

Rob Elite Member

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Done, hope everyone else follows

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Signed and posted on my facebook

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Done and done! Hope you guys come out on top with this one. Keep us updated.

11. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

Signed! Good luck to all you out in illinois!

12. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Hate to say this, but I am glad that all pythons to include BPs are being targeted this time. In the past it has seemed as if the BP segment has sorted of threw us big snake guys who live in the fringes under the bus, but now with them being targeted as well they might now get a clearer view of the bigger picture and with their economic might and the fact that BPs are a more "normal" pet, they could help turn these BS ban attempts on their ears.

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That has to be one of the more ignorant comments I have read in some time. You are "glad" they added BP's? I can't even tell you how fast I just lost all respect for you. Burmese Pythons, Rock Pythons and Anacondas are a VERY far cry from a ball python. I helped try to oppose THOSE bans just like I would all further bans. I certainly don't wish ill on any segment of our hobby because I am not that ignorant or naive. Your thinking and logic is severly flawed. Most of us opposing these bans don't own the big snakes. Get educated before you spew nonsense like that.

14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is just out of control!

15. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Its not ignorance at all Rich, go visit the BP forums and just look at how badly we are thrown under a bus with the BP guys saying its good for us because no one needs Snakes that big or laughing at our expense because their precious Balls aren't being targeted. You say I need to get educated, well sadly by visiting these sites and interacting with the larger overarching BP community I have. Lose respect for what I am saying all you want, that doesn't make the fact that I have seen what a large percentage of the BP hobbyist think about the rest of us go away nor will it change my perception of them.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem being that infighting will not help ANYONE. Taking the attitude you are taking is placing YOU in the same postition that you are complaining about from them.
    Supporting the reptile ban in any way, shape, or form, is just allowing them to trample on everyone's rights.
    If the ball python hobbyists are truly ignorant enough to think it won't effect them, have them read some of these laws.
    All members of the Boidae family, such as boas,
    pythons
    and anacondas as provided by the Department by
    administrative rule.
    If we do not ALL stand together, then we will surely ALL fail!

17. Rich

The vast majority of us fighting for our rights don't own any of the restricted snakes. It doesn't stop us from trying to prevent the onslaught. You are unbelievably childish to wish ill on any grouping from our hobby. People exactly like YOU are what is wrong with our industry. You are no better than those you speak of. Instead of manning up and being bigger than the morons who run their mouths you jump in and show gratitude for those being affected. You can try to justify it or spin it any way you like. Your comment affected ME and "I" am one of the donors and lobbiests who have been writing, reading and trying to help spread ways to stop these clowns from taking our rights. "I" am not one of those clowns from the other sites. YOU are doing exactly what the media has done. YOU are taking the actions of a few and holding them accountable for the whole. YOU are what we need to change in this industry. Either get with the picture or get lost.

18. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

The problem here Rich is that well, your not really being logical or intelligent in what your accusing me of. No where have I stated that I wish Ill on BP owners, I stated I am glad they are being lumped with us this time because of the economic might they have. They are already being lumped in there this time with us, so its false equivalency to try to state that I am wishing ill will towards a group when I just stated that it is good they are being added this time as well because that makes it easier to fight this ban. If I had stated that its BS that Balls aren't included in a bill then you would have a point, but I never made that argument did I? I just made an observation on the knowledge that they have already been lumped in with the rest of us.

19. Rich

I read that you believed it might show impact but not before you pointed out how you were happy to be able to throw it in the face of those who threw you under the bus. Go ahead and try to spin it. I read what you wrote in the context in which it was wrote. You were ticked that a handful of morons didn't care about your ban and now this is retribution to them. "Maybe now they will see the big picture." You did indeed wish ill on the group with that perspective. If this ban goes through, many people, including myself, will lose our businesses and side businesses because it won't stop with OH. Had you JUST posted about the impact that BP's econimics could play on this ban we wouldn't be having this chat at all. That wasn't the case. You posted in spite. I am not interested in hearing your spin now. I am actually not interested in hearing anything from you. Your comment said plenty and I no longer wish to waste my time on this.

20. Rich

Some peoples letters to Illinois Senate Assignment Committee are being filtered out as spam. You can try to send the letters to email addresses individually. Cut and paste sample letter and email addresses below.

Senate Assignments Committee:

hsteans@senatedem.ila.gov, dharmon@senatedem.ila.gov, jclayborne@senatedem.ila.gov, klightford@senatedem.ila.gov, kdillard@senaterep.ila.gov, drighter@senaterep.ila.gov

I don't know what is adding the spaces. I can't prevent them. Make sure there are no spaces when you copy the email addies.

Sample Letter:

Senator Steans and Committee Members,

As a resident/stakeholder in the Illinois reptile community I appreciate your concern for public safety. However, your proposed bill is far too over reaching in regards to reptiles. Illinois is already highly regulated. Over-regulating harmless pets lacks common sense. Who ever assisted in the construction of the bill obviously doesn't understand the natural history or economics of reptiles in IL; nor their relatively simple captive husbandry requirements.Further, there seems to be no understanding of the difference between occupational hazard and public safety risk.

The reptile industry represents $30 million annually in commerce in Illinois. Thousands make their living in this State because of this business. To cavalierly destroy this non-traditional agricultural interest because of a fundamental lack of understanding is unacceptable. As written, this bill will hurt me and my family. It is bad idea to kill jobs in this kind of economy.

Working with certain reptiles entails a moderate occupational risk, but historically and statistically, reptiles represent virtually zero public safety risk. Dogs account for 35 deaths a year in this country. Captive reptiles less than one per year. Traditional livestock and pets have proven much more of a public safety risk than reptiles. According to US Fish & Wildlife and US Geological Services studies, the rare event of a death as the result of a captive reptile falls into the category of occupational hazard. There is no record whatsoever of a captive reptile creating any measurable risk to the public... NEVER!

Please remove ALL reptiles from SB3264. Thank you